Find
Notify
Tools

Foam for Kydex work.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted
There are a few different grades of foam for Kydex presses and the pricing isn't that different. Is one foam harder than another? Is one better than the other for impressions? I'm not looking to use bed rolls or yoga mats.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Thanks, that is the same price as the upper end of the foam I was looking at on knife kits. Who h probably puts it about the same type of foam. I don't plan on doing more than one or two for me which may turn into one for each pistol and revolver, but like anything else quality starts in the preparation. Then I say "Hey, I could make..." or "Why doesn't someone make?"

Nice blade work by the way, I had to swing by for a look.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
Considering I know nothing about this subject, what is the foam used for? Forms?

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave, basically yes. It sits in sort of a press. The item to be molded around sits on the bottom of the "press". The kydex is heated (I happen to think convection works best) and then placed on top of the item being molded. The press has the foam in it. When clamped together, or pressed, the foam causes the warm kydex to form fit around the item. It is left there until cool and molded.

I have only made a couple, but it works and if you don'[t like it, you can heat the kydex again and have a "do over", but maybe once since the warm kydex will stretch some around the form. Not much, but some.

Google kydex press and look at the images.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
Okay, thanks.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote