New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Sullivan Sheaths
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A few of my new sheaths from Sullivans Holster Shop.

Posts: 603 | Location: Louisiana USA | Registered: 24 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice, a tactical style sheath out of leather. Where is Sullivan's? Site?

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think they have a web site. They make a lot of Randall knife sheaths and these were about an 18 month wait.

Greg & Fran Gutcher, owners
Sullivan's Holster Shop, Inc.
2521 Success Drive, Suite 1
Odessa, FL 33556
727-376-3209

Posts: 603 | Location: Louisiana USA | Registered: 24 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jawheeler:
A few of my new sheaths from Sullivans Holster Shop.

bewildered Beautiful work, and great for show and tell, or display, but not something I would want to carry in the field..

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just for curiosity's sake, why wouldn't you want to carry those sheaths in the field?

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice workmanship, but in my opinion way too busy for field use--on none armed animals.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the tactical sheaths because I strap my knives to the outside of my web gear or pack while hunting for easy access. It's much more secure than a traditional belt sheath. It's just the way I roll. Wink

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
Just for curiosity's sake, why wouldn't you want to carry those sheaths in the field?

For me, too bulky, too many rawhides hanging here and there. Don't get me wrong, they are beautiful
sheaths and I would enjoy owning them, but not for field use.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Agreed. Beautiful, but I would be afraid of getting the rawhides snagged on brush. I have had my wrist lanyard on my regular knife snag and pull the knife out before. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about this for an idea.

Remove all the unnecessary lanyards etc.

Problem solved.

BTW, great sheaths. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
back before all of this wisdom was available, we carried Randalls in sheaths about identical to these in Vietnam. The blades weren't even stainless.

How naive we were...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Frederick:
How about this for an idea.

Remove all the unnecessary lanyards etc.

Problem solved.

BTW, great sheaths. tu2

I agree. Great sheaths. I am one who likes things simple and have made quite a few one-piece sheaths over the years-no lanyards, no snaps, no straps, no conchos. Just fit the knives to the leather sewn snug, moisten the leather, insert the oiled knife and wait for drying. Knife does not fall out and is ready with gentle tug. Another solution for field use, eh?

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billinthewild:
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:

For me, too bulky, too many rawhides hanging here and there. Don't get me wrong, they are beautiful
sheaths and I would enjoy owning them, but not for field use.

Agreed on all points. That is why I always carry my fixed blade knives in the day pack while hunting and a small folder in the pocket. The lighter and smaller the sheath the better.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6591 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
True dat.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote