THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM KNIVES AND KNIFE MAKING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Knives and Knife Making    Custom vs. Semi-Custom Knives like Randall

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Custom vs. Semi-Custom Knives like Randall
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I own a number of Randall knives, my primary hunting knife is a Model 7 Fisherman-Hunter. I took delivery of 2 Gene Ingram knives about a year ago that I waited a couple of years to get (my first true custom knives).

The last Randall I received from the factory wasn't even sharp which makes me wonder if they now assume that buyers won't use them but only buy them to collect. Don't get me wrong, I think Randalls are fine knives and I've owned them for many years, but I'm thinking now that there are better options for less money. I have deposits down for 2 more Randalls that will be up for production in the next year but they will most likely be my last. I'm also in Bret Dowell's book for a knife that I should get in the next year, can't wait to get that one.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Randall's are horrendously overpriced considering they are a limited production FACTORY knife. for the same or less money and a shorter wait you can get a custom, one-of-a-kind knife with much better steel. you are simply paying for the name.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
i have collected custom knives for 30+ years, along with a few Randalls in the mix. the Randalls are long gone- the customs are still here. over hyped, over priced with no redeeming virtues( unless waiting too long and paying too much are virtues).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am kinda fond of this one.

but it only cost me a penny.

JAFO,

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been receiving, buying and commissioning knives for over 30 years. I learned as a boy how to sharpen steel and have learned and educated myself on knife steel. Over the years I have acquired many fine knives. For some reason I bought a Randall. It is better than many production knives, but not all of them. Certainly not in the same category as any of my customs. I will not buy another. Randall's are for those who like to brag a/b what they have. It does not matter if they know their head from their ass---a/b knives (or anything else). My college roommate had a Randall ! He could not sharpen a knife, did not know what kind of steel the blade had and thought RC had something to do w/ rice cakes or royal crown cola. BUT, he had a Randall and that made him a genious ! In his mind. He would talk a/b it as if it made him something . The Randall hype worked on him just as it continues to work on others. You can get a whole lot more knife for a lot less money.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy low
Sell high
Collect early
Pay late

It's hard to lose by makings profit.

As I said before I have a penny in the Randall

I will continue to use and enjoy mine. I'd be willing to bet when and if the time comes I will be able to get a substantial return on my investment

JAFO

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
i didn't realize Randalls had gotten so cheap. for a penny, they are a great buy. beyond that- not so much.....

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used a Randall tool steel 5" Model 5 and a stainless Model 8 Trout and Bird, to gut, skin and butcher a lot of game.

They have always performed in a most excellent manner. They are very well balanced, hold a good edge, and are easy to sharpen.

Bottom line is they "cut" very well.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Opinions vary!

been used on a number of animals.

Yet to be sharpened

works fine still.

Your mileage may vary.

JAFO,

GWB

one of us
posted Hide Post
GWB

Nice knife, nice bear. tu2

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a bud who remembers the time when every Infantry Officer carried a Randall.

This is a knife he carried in combat, not Randall made, it has zero markings, was super secret special issue, now it is highly collectable. He did not care for it as the first one broke its tip chopping saw grass.

I used to visit the Randall factory, bought a number of Randall’s. Randall’s have not gotten cheaper over time, and the quality has varied. I have seen unsymmetrical grinds and edges that wandered. It is best to examine a Randall before buying. The good ones are very good. Steels have changed over the years, Randall is a bit slow on adopting new steels.

I like Randall designs, but, and this should be said, there are cheaper alternatives. I have carried Morseth’s and Randall’s in the field, now, I am going to carry a production knife that if I lose, or scratch up, I won’t be out a lot of money.

These Hattori’s are fine knives.