New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re Hog Hunting Knife
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
OK I never thought this would interest me but what is the proper Blade lenght for hunting hogs with a knife ?

one of us
posted Hide Post
seen everything used in south carolina from 12 inches to chain saws.

Posts: 510 | Location: pa | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I you search you may find an earlier discussion on the topic, perhaps on the Hog Hunting board. I think the minimum recommended blade length was in the eight-inch range, but am not sure.

Some speak highly of the Cold Steel Trailmaster, but mine has not been out in the field so I cannot say.

Found the thread.

Good luck to you.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Not more than 30cmsbecause a long sword can injure the dogs ,but i know a couple of martial artists here and in Australia that use wakizayis.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the thread Charles I had done a search but in knives. Juanpozzi What model Muela do you recomend? I have a Jabali I just purchase 6 3/4" 1/4 thick 1 1/2 wide blade but sounds like that may be a wee bit short? I am sure the Cold steel Trail Master would be great but I would have no real use for it other than a one time hunt and it is spendy to use only once.( I did not relize how large the Jabali was and if it is not a hog knife I have no use for it! Roll Eyes) Thank you All

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
The muela podenqueros are just made for pig sticking ,the cold steel train master or recon scout or tantos are excellent but if you dont mind the price buy a mercx knife like the equatorian.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
16 feet. dancing

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a bayonette made for an AR-15. It's sharp the entire length of one side and about half way up the other. The hole on the hilt where the barrel of the rifle is supposed to fit through makes a nice thumb grip too.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
These served us well for sticking englis. don't see why the ole dirk with a 12 inch blade would not do as well on pigs. Not much difference. They both squeal wildly when jabbed! Big Grin

Jamais Arriere!

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8342 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
I missed this post until this evening. My Muela bowie with an 8.5 inch blade did a fine job on a boar I killed while hunting with Juan Pozzi last October. I am going back to Argentina next week and this time I am taking my Rigid bowie (Model RB62) with a 9 inch blade. Not really sure if I will be hunting this trip, but if not it makes one dandy steak knife. cheers

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a replica gladius with only a 20 inch blade that works well. Big Grin

The Cold Steel Magnum Tanto is another good pick.............

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest something no shorter than 7 inches and no longer than about 9. 6 inches will do in a pinch, but might give you a problem on a really huge fat hog. A slim profile bowie type design or a thicker bladed old style butcher knife shape is fine, double guards are nice if you value your fingers. I like a sharpened clip. While there are advantages to double edged knives, they increase the chance of injury to the dogs or hunters. The blade length recommendations are based on lessened danger both to the knife wielder, other hunters, and especially the dogs. Same reasons apply to why I'm not really crazy about fully double edged knives.

Stick him approximately behind the " elbow joint" of the front leg, angling forward with the blade, and slice down and up as you come out. They lose oil pressure in a hurry.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have just purchased a Fallkniven N1 Thor Bowie Knife that I am going to hopefully try out this year, it has a 10" blade.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
a good wide knife of duble edge its ideal ,for experts a gerbermk11 type is a must .juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA