THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM KNIVES AND KNIFE MAKING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Knives and Knife Making    Fitting scales / handle to tang with pins

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fitting scales / handle to tang with pins
 Login/Join

posted
How do the pins we see on full tang knives hold the scales to the tang? Are they like rivets with the actual diameters less than what is visible? How do you apply them?
I want to replace the handle scales on a WWII machette and need some advice.
Your help will be appreciated.

Posts: 24 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 15 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Being far from an expert, I think the pin diameters are consistent. The scales are epoxied on as far as I know. At least that's what I did when I made a couple of knives for my own use. Thank you.

Posts: 188 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 14 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes the hole is slightly tapered and the pin carefully peened .There are special screws that can be used .Take a look at the various types in www.knifekits.com The scales are epoxied in addition.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Epoxy.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8342 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can be done with pins or rivets.

The straightness of diameter of the pin or rivet will depend on the hole that has been bored through the tang for the holding device. If it is obviously skinny (1/8" to 3/16" in diameter) you may want to use a cutler's rivet whose ends are larger in diameter than the waist.

Scales should be epoxied on as well as pinned or riveted. See Knife and Gun for their epoxy ... REALLY good stuff!

http://www.knifeandgun.com/

Sand the tang to expose fresh metal. Do NOT polish it! Leave it rough. Clean the tang and scales with Acetone before applying the epoxy. Check the scales for their solubility in acetone before using any on them. (Try a little on a 1-Tip on the back side.) Clean up as much of the excess as possible before it hardens. Will take 3 days to harden completely. You can accelerate the process after 12 hours by warming to the lowest baking heat your oven will deliver ... usually abt 170F. Warm for about an hour and let cool. Epoxy will be fully hardened.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
& make sure those pins aren't too tight a fit or they will split the scales! Thus the reason for epoxy on the pins too.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8342 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
The pins are just bricks to hold the place, the strength comes from the epoxy.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote