Find
Notify
Tools

Stones for smoothing grinder marks
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted
Well I'm excited. Being new to the knife making business, I have a lot of aw shucks marks in my blades that take forever to work out with hand sanding. I even have a half dozen blades in a pile that I gave up on as they would take too much work to get decent...mostly because they are thin (1/16" stock, fillet and small paring blades) and the flex makes them hell to keep flat on the grinder, at my skill level, anyway.

Well as I am in the garage this evening splattering more water and sandpaper mud on my shirt and agonizing over tired arm muscles, a line from the Engnath web site sprang to mind...about the same time as I saw an old whetstone in the corner. The line goes something like 'stones can handle lots of problems with grind lines' or such...just what I need! thumb

Well, to make a long story a bit shorter, 15 minutes got me farther than the previous 2 hours, with a much better looking end product to boot!

Hot damn, I think I need to revisit the reject pile. I think I can salvage a few yet!

BTW, I was using it all wrong...keeping the blade clamped down and running the stone along the blade, but I seem to end up with really flexible blades, so the backing by clamping to a board helps a lot!

Just had to share... Wink

As always, I am open to suggestions from the experts. lol

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote