Find
Notify
Tools

Damascus Bowie
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bigfats
posted
Here's a pic of the finished product from a blank offered by Frank Martinez a couple weeks ago in the classifieds.

A local knife maker did the cocobola handle and brass guard. Now to find a sheath maker.

Any suggestions???

Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice work. I hadn't considered adding pins. Did you find the need the re-temper prior to sharpening?
I was asked about this but when I sharpened the knife blank I kept it seemed to take an edge readily. Others have asked me if it will hold the edge but I am not knowledgable to know.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigfats:
Here's a pic of the finished product from a blank offered by Frank Martinez a couple weeks ago in the classifieds.

A local knife maker did the cocobola handle and brass guard. Now to find a sheath maker.

Any suggestions???

Tree Stump Leather

Posts: 75 | Location: Maine | Registered: 04 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bigfats
posted Hide Post
Frank,

I just handed over the blank to the knife maker and he finished it out. He did tell me it was a very nice blank but didn't allow anything else. I haven't tried to sharpen it since it's plenty sharpe as is.

Here's a side pic showing the handle's shape.

Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that additional photo. I really like what he did for you.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bigfats
posted Hide Post
Sheath added

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice! As for rehardening the blade or retempering, if you are not going to actually use the knife in a camping situation or hunting, I see little reason to fool around with a blank.
I have a damascas hunter with a 3.5 inch blade that while doesn't feel as sharp as a non-damascus edge, it cuts superbly. The beauty of the forge welding is that the hard layers will provide minute very sharp cutting angles and the soft portions which will wear faster will provide a microscopic sawing action when used.
It is very difficult to make a statement about RC hardness on a damascus blade because of the layers, wall of which are different.

Dana
CZ 458 Lott, 416 Rigby
375 H&H Remington C shop
50/2.5 BPC

Posts: 44 | Location: Buhl, Idaho | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man that turned out nice!! All of it. BTW....who made that blanket gun case?

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely beautiful knife!

Robert