Find
Notify
Tools

Best knife for cutting butter
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted
Oh well, just got tired of seeing the best for under $100.00 on top of the forum.
jumping

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It takes a lot more than $ 100 to get a good butter knife.A fine stainless steel and a sterling silver handle are the minimum standards !! Roll Eyes

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
bitw

I don't know about butter, but I can tell you what it takes to cut the cheese.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was thinking one of those fancy wancy art knives that sell for $7000 covered in gems that look like a dragon. I cannot find a pic on the internet, but it was in an issue of Blade mag a few months ago.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You know, there is probably a good answer for this....like the proverbial 'try to slice a piece or bread from a loaf with a pocket knife, and you'll appreciate a 10" serrated edge blade...."
Makes one see a 10" serrated has a definite purpose over and above a 3" folder.

For butter, I find you need a semi sharp edge sometimes, e.g. if the butter isn't thawed. or you need to get a real thin slice of butter....

the blade needs sufficient thickness to the blade to spread proficiently, especially if 'peanut' butter might be on the agenda. To much flex is a negative as spreading pressure can become surprisingly high depending on variances in the substrate firmness--cracker, rie bread, soft white bread?????

I find a blade with a profile resembling a putty knife, with a decent leading edge, length of 5" approximately, and 1/32" thickness is good. A sublime material for handle is imperative, just to keep it all subtle....I like black onyx, but black micarta is probably more practical and available...ironwood is a good alternative, also have one in white corian...it was a gift Smiler

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
You might try something like this the next time you get a urge for a hunk of bread and butter. I find it works pretty well as a skinner too with a touch of help from a pocket knife on occasion...

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
i haven't decided what shape works best but the handle must definitely be premium stag and the only steel is ladder pattern Damascus with ATS34 as a distant second

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Ol Joe. What a coincidence with your quote from Groucho....I was born at an early age also.... rotflmo
Your knife is pretty nice. Kind of an antique butter knife and spreader combined. Now this one below is even better. If the butter is hard you can whack a piece off....... knife

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
best knife for butter? well, the one being held by the girl in "redheads" thread, in walter's own forum, when she is feeding you breakfast "the morning after"... DUH
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5221043/m/411109694/p/1

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38379 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ahhhh Jeffe, always a sublime response!

I like it!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Something with a heating element and a battery pack in the handle with a "lemon squeezer" type of activation switch. Damascus would be visually appealing as well. Stag handle for the cabin and a good Sterling for the more formal occasions.

Posts: 188 | Location: nc | Registered: 03 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gixxer:
I was thinking one of those fancy wancy art knives that sell for $7000 covered in gems that look like a dragon. I cannot find a pic on the internet, but it was in an issue of Blade mag a few months ago.

like this guy?

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Beautiful and it would be a good choice for cutting lard.....on the hoof!

Theodore Roosevelt