Find
Notify
Tools

STATE KNIFE LAWS????
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted
I saw a post from another member who was looking for info on knife laws in Europe.
It got me thinking...do any of you have a link to knife laws from state to state???
I know that they differ greatly, I used to live in California which was very restrictive.

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of foxfire
posted Hide Post
If you go to the NRA site. They have a link to the different states gun laws. Once you punch them up you'll see the penal laws for Guns, knives, dangerous weapons etc.
Here's a link to the specific states knife laws
State by state knife laws

State by state gun laws
scroll down find your state and read it through.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Posts: 359 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ben589
posted Hide Post
In Alabama, I know that if you walk around with a 4 FOOT LONG broadsword strapped to your back, in a scabbard, it's considered a concealed weapon -- because it's in the scabbard.

But if it's not in the scabbard, and openly in your hand with the blade exposed, they can't claim it as a concealed weapon.

I never really understood that one.

I did however, bring a antique Scottish Claymore to a Gun and Knife show down here one time. There was a fellow who was a knife polisher/sharpener and had a booth set up.

All my swords are functional - I don't believe in owning any sword that "wibbles" like a piece of tin when you shake it.

At gun shows down here, if you bring a weapon in from the outside, the police have zip-ties that the run through the action in some way, so the action can't be closed. No problem there.

So I come walking up to the gun show with my 5' long claymore in a baldric across my back and the deputy comes walking up to me with a zip-tie. I take my baldric off, and explain I'm going to have my sword sharpened by the guy in the booth over there.

He's got his zip-tie in hand and looking around at my baldric and sword hanger, and at the claymore for a minute trying to find somewhere to put the zip-tie, then he just shakes his head and asks me, "You're not here to cause any trouble with this today, right?"

"No sir."

And he let me on in.

That's been the extent of my having a run-in with the law while carrying a sword in public, but I did find it humerous at the time.

I don't worry much about carrying pocket-knives or even hunting knives to a point - I can see how they fit into concealed carry. What I don't get is how a 4 - 5' long sword manages to fall into the same law.

======================================
Cleachdadh mi fo m' féileadh dé tha an m' osan.

Posts: 2172 | Location: Highlands of South Alabama, USA | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Even in Kommiefornia you can carry a knife OR EVEN A FULL-SIZED SWORD IF SO INCLINED if it's openly worn on the belt in a sheath/scabbard. When it's concealed is where you run into trouble.

.22 LR Ruger M77/22
30-06 Ruger M77/MkII
.375 H&H Ruger RSM

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
Seems to me that states with CCL should let the permit holder carry anything they want.

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
What I wondered is if having a folding knife in a pocket clip so that the end is exposed at the top of your pants pocket would qualify as concealed or open carry...???

Here in Texas it's usually referred to as a CHL, Concealed Handgun Licensce. Next time I'm in the class I intend to ask that very question, with particular attention to auto knives. I want a true one handed opening knife in case I ever get tangled up in a line in my boat...

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote