Find
Notify
Tools

Tried a new style
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted
I'm slowly improving my grinds, so starting to try shapes that were too difficult for me earlier. Tried a couple of sizes in a "Nesmuk" style blade. I am still trying to decide if I am going to leave the handle as it is, or keep shaping them a little more. But they are mostly done now.

Orange handled blade is NitroV steel, orange G10 handles with green g10 liners and pins. The liner is only .5mm, so desnt show up too well. It was one of the first liners I bought, and I am trying to use it up on this trial knife. For some reason, I had more trouble grinding even bevels on this smaller blade than I did on the bigger version.

The other is Elmax steel, with camo G10 handles and flat earth coloured G10 pins. Didnt seem like any point using a liner on this since the camo pattern is a laminate of G10.

Posts: 425 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Nice!

If you can get a copy of the Bob Loveless book, there is quite a bit of information in there about handle design.

I love the orange handles. People will bitch about it, but when you are skinning an animal they are handy.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If they are sharp and stay sharp a reasonable time they well work just fine.

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
Nice!

If you can get a copy of the Bob Loveless book, there is quite a bit of information in there about handle design.

I love the orange handles. People will bitch about it, but when you are skinning an animal they are handy.

Thanks. I quite like the orange, though I know its too bright for some people.

Once I get to this stage, I pretty much just hold it and see how it feels. Then adjust it a bit and hold it again until I am happy.

Posts: 425 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
If they are sharp and stay sharp a reasonable time they well work just fine.

Thanks mate. I have had a few people brake down sambar deer (bigger than a mule deer, but a little smaller than an elk) with my knives and the edge has held up great. Once I get them sharp, I have found my knives will be good for several animals before needing a sharpen.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Once I get them sharp, I have found my knives will be good for several animals before needing a sharpen.

I brought some cheap Winchester brand on close out paid 5 bucks each. For field cutting of hogs they stay sharp even with all the mud and grit.

I was pleasantly surprised.

When I was growing up Marble knifes out of MI. had a great reputation. All the old timers bragged about them.

So I acquired a couple of them worse steel I used dulled really fast.

My main field dressing knife is a Remington brand big game folder from about 1982.

Some type of stainless good for several deer. I have dressed well over 100 with it.

When I was trapping and skinning hundreds of critters a year. I would wear a skinning knife out every year.

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote