THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM KNIVES AND KNIFE MAKING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Knives and Knife Making    Automatic knives in USA - Florida and Oregon

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Automatic knives in USA - Florida and Oregon
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted
Hello out there,

I would like to ask. I very like my Microtech Combat Troodon. I carry it here in my country all day in my pocket. It is not regulated in any way here.

But I am going to Florida and Oregon in the summer, so my question is:

Can I take it with me? Can I carry it in pocket (clip outside)? Or keep it at home?

Thank you,
Jiri

Posts: 2067 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As I read a summary of the laws, in both states you can carry openly, but you can not carry concealed. In Florida, you can do so if you have a concealed carry permit, which you obviously will not have.

Do not take this as a final word on the subject, it is just the results of a google search, but sounds right.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Florida info

http://www.knifeup.com/florida-knife-laws-explained/

Florida is so armed - 1 mil plus concealed weapons permits doubt any law enforcement focused on knives.

I would keep in mind carrying anything at Disney or theme parks.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He is talking about a knife fellas....what we would call a switchblade back in the day.

It is perfectly legal to carry one in Texas, I have no idea about the states you asked though.

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
What about clearing customs/TSA baggage checks?
He sure will not be carrying it while entering the country or flying in-country while visiting.
Are there any federal prohibitions about "automatic knives"?

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
It would appear that both states allow open carry but not concealed.

Judge for yourself

http://weaponlaws.wikidot.com/us-switchblade-laws

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is what I carry when I am traveling overseas

https://ads.midwayusa.com/prod...WR0NMCFdgUgQodJmMEOA

I buy mine at academy for $26.

The knife is pretty good and sharp and the tool balances well.

Also it is much easier around the world to explain to security guards at hotels and malls (I have never had to explain it to law enforcement) that it is just a utility tool.

Easier to explain a tool than a knife when one is outside ines home jurisdication.

Also makes a nice cheap gift.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to knife rights they should have the most up to date information.

For you guys in the states they are on the cutting edge of knife ownership.

https://kniferights.org/

Posts: 19308 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't worry about it. Have it in you're checked baggage same as any other knife.

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for responses.

Jiri

Posts: 2067 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jiri, there are knives available called 'assisted opening" that bypass the restrictions on 'automatic' knives. At one point in FL it was NOT legal to carry an automatic knife unless you were an LEO or fireman. That seems to have changed, based on the above posts, however, personally, I do not depend on "independent" websites to provide legal information so I plan on checking myself, just to be on the safe side!
For the folks on this forum: if I carry my folding knife with the belt clip on the waistband facing outward, and the knife body inside my waistband, is it open carry or concealed?

Follow up! Looks like there is a firearms preemption law on the books in FL but NOT a knife preemption law. This means that counties can and in the case of Miami-Dade, have, passed laws affecting knife carry that are NOT preempted by state law. Perhaps my friend Beretta can comment on this as he is more current than I.

See this for instance:
http://www.floridaconcealedcar...out-automatic-knives

I am NOT saying this is gospel, just food for thought.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote