Find
Notify
Tools

Cold Steel Bushman?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of panzerguy
posted
Has anyone had experience with this "knife"?

I had the opportunity to play with one yesterday, and am astounded with what you can do with it. I think it, combined with a stout walking stick sharpened on one end with a screw hole pre-drilled, would make anyone "king of the jungle" without scaring people by walking through the woods with a spear.

For less than $25 I can't think you could buy more knife/spear/whatever.

Posts: 278 | Location: Wherever I park my tank | Registered: 09 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of them to play with. I always thought the smaller model would make a neat set of steak knifes. That should get the conversation around the table going.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Iused one in my camp near Parana delta for years and is very good as all the cold steel items now im using daily a kukri very cheap south african cold steel with excellent results .Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with the bushmaster, but it looks like a good weapon and tool to have in the backpack when going into the bush.
Like Juan I use a kukri from Cold Steel, the old king with shiny carbon blade that is VERY thick - 8.5mm Eeker
Very good for clearing light bush and thick stuff.

Juan - Comandos gunsmile Big Grin

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Andre,

Is that a discontinued model? The closest I could find on their website was the Gurkha Kukri but is seems to have a slightly thinner blade if I did the math right and is black powder coated.

I was actually thinking about starting a panga versus machete versus kukri versus "camp knife" or "chopper" discussion as I worked on sharpening my machete yesterday. I take it the Kukri is the one you and Juan recommend for brush clearing and light chopping?

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Charles

Buddy if you are going to clear bush nothing beats a machete. Cold Steek will be out with a new machete panga type chopper that will be the thing clap

Check it out it has the kreaton grip Big Grin

The Kukri I have is a old model - they don't make them like that any more. It took 4 lbs of Carbon V to make that baby Eeker

Cheers,

André

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Cold Steel Bushman. I think I paid about $19.95 and it came with a nylon sheath. It is nothing fancy, but it is a very sharp and rugged knife. It is carbon steel, and holds and edge fairly well, but will rust if not oiled. The only thing I dont like about it, is if you are field dressing or skinning with it, the smooth metal handle gets a bit slippery. A little imagination on my part could probably remedy that though. For the money, I think it is a great knife.

Posts: 551 | Location: Woodbine, Ga | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JefferyDenmark:
Charles

Buddy if you are going to clear bush nothing beats a machete. Cold Steek will be out with a new machete panga type chopper that will be the thing clap

So this is a new one and not one of the pangas or machetes they have listed now, or is it this one?

http://www.coldsteel.com/pangamachete.html

(I'm sure it is not this one as the handle is polypro and it is too cheap. Eeker)

quote:

The Kukri I have is a old model - they don't make them like that any more. It took 4 lbs of Carbon V to make that baby Eeker

Cheers,

André

Isn't that always the case. Frowner I could always check EBay -- is there a secret model name?

As always, thanks for the information!

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Charles

As always I am ahead of the game, the cold steel machete called 97MKM is brand new and NOT on the market now. Cold stel has a new line of knives comming out here in 2006 clap Want a sneek preview?

Ja jumping 4 pages of new models Big Grin
Check out the:
- SISU in san mai steel
- Konjo II san mai steel
- Talwar folder san mai steel

All on page 2

The machete 97MKM is on page 3 thumb

http://www.neverunarmed.com/new_products/newprods.htm

The kukri "old School" thick stock is sometimes for sale on ebay under "kukri cold steel"

Cheers,

André

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much -- you have excellent information!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Charles

Another option would be a Smatchet. That is one multi killer knife Mad

This is mine made by German Böker in 440C steel - That model is not made any more - only 1200 was made with the 440C I think the new ones are made from 402JS and they have a black plastis grip and not the green canvas micarta Roll Eyes

Cheers,

André

One of Us
Picture of panzerguy
posted Hide Post
I just ordered my Bushman last night. Now I wait gleefully by the mailbox.

Nice Smatchet. I'd love to play with one/see it in action.

Posts: 278 | Location: Wherever I park my tank | Registered: 09 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Charles

Another option would be a Smatchet. That is one multi killer knife Mad

This is mine made by German Böker in 440C steel - That model is not made any more - only 1200 was made with the 440C I think the new ones are made from 402JS and they have a black plastis grip and not the green canvas micarta Roll Eyes

Cheers,

André

Very nice! I need to figure out where all these knives I need so much are going to go...

I found a Cold Steel Kukri on EBay that was not coated but the mark is not the same as yours so I imagine it is a later model (I think it is just an earlier Gurkha).

So many knives (and guns), so little time and money.

Sorry for the hijack. hijack

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chgarles

It IS the same as mine. Get it Big Grin You will like it and have no problem re-selling if you think it is to heavy.
You will pay around $120-150 or so. But it is worth every penny IMO

You will have to snipe it mgun or put in a super high bid.

Cheers,

André

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Chgarles

It IS the same as mine. Get it Big Grin You will like it and have no problem re-selling if you think it is to heavy.
You will pay around $120-150 or so. But it is worth every penny IMO

You will have to snipe it mgun or put in a super high bid.

Cheers,

André

Never was a good sniper but I will see what I can do -- thanks for the information. Smiler

Edited: Sorry to be a pest but I sent you a PM with a couple of questions.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Charles

I like knife talk keep em coming Big Grin

PS nice picture in you posts.

Cheers,

André

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Charles

I like knife talk keep em coming Big Grin

PS nice picture in you posts.

Cheers,

André

Thank you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1115:
I have a Cold Steel Bushman. I think I paid about $19.95 and it came with a nylon sheath. It is nothing fancy, but it is a very sharp and rugged knife. It is carbon steel, and holds and edge fairly well, but will rust if not oiled. The only thing I dont like about it, is if you are field dressing or skinning with it, the smooth metal handle gets a bit slippery. A little imagination on my part could probably remedy that though. For the money, I think it is a great knife.

I think the Bushman is about as good as it gets for an inexpensive, good blade, but you are quite right, the handle does get slippery when covered in blood. A few wraps of 550 Para cord will solve that, and can be removed and washed as required.
we have a Bushman in each of our bug out bags, and in each 4WD, they get used often and do a fine job.

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have several of the bushman for durable bang up knives. I used one to cut up frozen moose ribs that were in my shed a few years ago. They were still attached to the spine so I plunged the knife in and knocked it sideways through the ribs to seperate them from the spine. There is no way that I would have tried it on a more expensive knife and the back of the blade has some dings on it but it did the job. I think other knives would have broken with the force I was putting on this knife...I actually was extra harsh on it wondering if I could break it!

IMHO, They are not good for butchering(I like a knife the size of their master hunter much more for skinning/butchering) but great for many other chores. I also use it for cutting up fishing bait and trapping bait. Works good for making fine kindling too...simply hit the back of the blade with another chunk of wood.

I have one in my boat and in the snowmachine on the winter. YMMV.

-phil

Posts: 126 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 07 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of panzerguy
posted Hide Post
I've had mine for a couple weeks now and love it. I need to find a good 1 1/8 inch handle about 4-6 foot long to try it as a spear tip, next.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Charles

Cheers,

André

Well it is now on the website but they list the handle as polypropelene: