New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on this knive
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I only carry and primarly use folding knives.

Big fan of benchmade and their mini griptilian. Bought a tanto griptilian a few days back.

Saw this knive and really liked it

http://www.benchmade.com/nakamura-axis-family.html

$300 for the carbon fiber handle. I like keeping my knives around $100-$125. Expensive enough to not misplace but not the end of the world if I gift or wear it out.

I may get this one.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just like Spydercos better and cheaper, usually.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I pretty much only carry Emerson and spyderco waves.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will look at both spyderco and emerson.

I dont like the hole spyderco has but I am sure it works efficiently and I will get over my aesthetic issues.

I bought a CRKT knives at Academcy on clearance for $22

https://www.amazon.com/Columbi...columbia+river+knife

Like the knife - making some good knives in China.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike:

I looked more carefully at the above knife you mentioned. Personally, I think it is overpriced by a factor of at least 2x for what you get, available for roughly $190. The steel, 90V, is a good one, better than the M390 IMO, but nothing extra and really no better and maybe worse than the more common S30V. I don't like the locking mechanism because it is a hole that will attract dirt, animal products, such as fat, hair, etc and MIGHT make opening or closing more difficult.

For my usages, and probably yours, assuming you're not really carrying a knife for self defense as its primary usage, I think you will be better served by either a Spyderco Native in S35VN (less than $90) or a Manix 2 in S30V (less than $100). Lose them, give them away, whatever, they are a better knife IMO. Avoid the BD1 steel versions. Once you get used to the Spyderco "hole" you will really appreciate it for its handiness.

But, everyone's tastes are different, so I am just suggesting based on mine. If the above knife is yours, by all means go for it. Benchmade makes some good knives, no doubt.

Speaking of Chinese knives, you can not buy a better knife made ANYWHERE in the price range than the Realsteel Sea Eagle, which is less than $60 and a helluva knife for the money.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got my Realsteel Sea Eagle via Amazon.

Looks like an impressive knife. It is the smoothest opening knife I have ever handled.

Looks like a lot of knife for under $60.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you'll like it.

I just used mine last night to help a friend clean his hog in the dark, because I had already loaned him 2 of my customs....watching him use his dull knives to butcher (literally) the process.....was just too painful mentally.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
I think you'll like it.

I just used mine last night to help a friend clean his hog in the dark, because I had already loaned him 2 of my customs....watching him use his dull knives to butcher (literally) the process.....was just too painful mentally.

I am very impressed with the knife. I have been carrying it everyday and it is exceptionally well made.

Feels like the chinese company has made this their quality benchmark.

A lot of negative stereotyping of chinese products but from my iphone 7 plus to penn slammer 3 to real steel knife I am pretty impressed by the quality of some chinese made products.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip GG. I have just ordered mine (Realsteel)!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I still had my SOG EDC knife clipped in my pocket when going through security in Córdoba in March. Totally forgot until emptying my pockets because it's just common place. I bought two CRKT serrated Ignitor assisted open knives during my layover in Santiago.

I like the knife, but it took time to get used to the "safety" mechanism to open and the orientation when clipped is different than the SOG, but I practiced and practiced. Now I've got it. It was about $65 if I recall.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Home run on the spyderco native5 serrated knife.

Excellent size and compactness for a nice blade.

I like the hole assist to open.

Knife is light.

Thanks Gato - this one will be with me for a long time.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
So, how does one sharpen a serrated blade? I have a Benchmade folder which was my daily carry but badly needs sharpening.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
So, how does one sharpen a serrated blade? I have a Benchmade folder which was my daily carry but badly needs sharpening.
Peter.

I take mine to bass pro or have a guy who builds custom knives sharpen mine for $3.

I am a big fan or serrated blades for my uses - cutting cable ties, plastic packages etc

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Peter.

Well, I'll start by saying that I don't prefer serrated edges, but will admit that they do a superior job on things like thick nylon webbing, such as a seat belt. I have several, including an older Spyderco, all metal, that works well but I rarely use it for anything but EDC.

The following is just hitting the high points since the details should be obvious to anyone who sharpens knives:

To the point, sharpening serrated edges (SE) is not that hard and, to some extent, depends on how anal you are about it. If you want the absolute maximum results, you will have to use some type of file, diamond round, etc to do each serration. If you want a working edge, you can easily sharpen one to that level by using a Spyderco Sharpmaker and taking the stokes SLOWLY on the SE. Or, you can use a Sharpmaker and simply do the above, but then using a narrower angle, that is hold the knife more parallel to the grit sticks, and sharpen the backside. You can also do this with any type of stone with suitable grit.

You can find a metal rod that will fit the SE and then using some very fine sandpaper wrapped around it, file each one individually.

It really ain't hard, but it, except for the "cheater" method above, takes considerably more time than a straight edged blade.

All that said, and I like sharpening knives, for $3, I'd GLADLY let someone else sharpen my SE knives if he does a good job.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I use some diamond coated sharpeners from DMT on the serrated part of a little knife I carry around. If you are not careful, you will alter the geometry. In any case, the serrations are sharper when I am done.

Here are the two I use most of the time:

DMT FSKE Diafold Serrated Knife Sharpener - Extra-Fine

DMT FSKF Diafold Serrated Knife Sharpener - Fine

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I juts received my Real Steel! Nice knife but I have to figure out how to get it into action! Weird having the "opener" at the wrong end!
Peter