The Accurate Reloading Forums
Ragnar's circa 1960s Brusletto blades: Were they for Morseth?

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5021043/m/379109418

14 February 2008, 21:44
Naphtali
Ragnar's circa 1960s Brusletto blades: Were they for Morseth?
A couple of years ago I picked up many Brusletto Laminated carbon steel blades from Ragnar. They were said to be intended for Morseth Knives in the early 1960s. The blade closely resembles the blade of a Morseth knife I owned, specifically including the much thicker blade of Morseth [Brusletto] blades when compared with those Brusletto manufactures under there own brand.

The obvious way to confirm these blades' pedigree would be to Rockwell test the center lamination, preferably on top. If it is higher than HRc 61, Morseth. Lower, not Morseth -- Brusletto's non-Morseth laminated carbon steel blades' center laminations are in the HRc 57-59 range.

Here are the Morseth knife and the Brusletto blade. Help, anyone??

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
15 February 2008, 18:57
congomike
I would give A.G Russell Knives a call. They have a nice website...just can't remember what it is...try agrussellknives.com.
They used to sell Morseth. I have called and asked them questions and they are very friendly to talk to. They have had the same business owners for many, many years.
15 February 2008, 20:32
Naphtali
quote:
Originally posted by congomike:
I would give A.G Russell Knives a call. . . .
They used to sell Morseth.
I called, as you suggest, around time of purchase. They have no information. I was told Russell bought the rights to manufacture Morseth knives from Steve Morseth, Harry's son, after these blades were claimed to have been manufactured.

I do not know how many of the blades Ragnar acquired -- for all I know he may still have some for sale. You would think someone, Ragnar, a buyer --someone -- would have Rockwell tested [some] blades. As far as I know, hasn't happened.

While I don't care whether these are Morseth-Brusletto blades without Morseth markings, I am very interested whether core lamination is significantly harder, more abrasion resistent that stock Bruslettos. Unfortunately, I am unwilling to have one blade ground properly to then cut cardboard boxes, or other, to compare the blade with something known that I own.

So I'm requesting information here to lay-off the question on someone else. I think the technical term to describe what I'm doing is laziness?

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
25 March 2008, 05:29
North61
This was on a private forum I belong to and the consensus seemed to be that they were rejected by Morseth for some reason so strictly speaking aren't Morseth blades. Ragnar changed his advertising as a result of this. I bought two and they make dandy knives however.

A rose by any other name.....
25 March 2008, 05:31
North61
here is one of mine

Quite a handful..handle is brass/birch bark and sledge hammer handle hickory.
25 March 2008, 08:54
Naphtali
quote:
Originally posted by North61:
here is one of mine

Quite a handful..handle is brass/birch bark and sledge hammer handle hickory.
Nice job. What's more impressive is the large amount of steel you removed to create such a petite knife.
But no one has yet Rockwell tested the center lamination? It ain't rocket science -- but it does require an expensive machine, about $800 in the late 1970s, according to a friend who ran a metal fabricating business. Oh, well . . .

03 May 2008, 20:59
North61
I forgot about this thread..pretty funny reply.

Don't know about the Rockwell testing but this blade is plenty tough. I had little trouble drilling through the tang to pin it to the handle.
Of course the tang might not have been as hard as the blade section. It keeps a good enough edge to guess that it is at R57 or better.