Find
Notify
Tools

Update on a couple of my projects
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted
Have finished the second knife of the pair I set out to make so they would pair with a couple of rifles I built, but on finishing decided the pocket knife I carry needed to be a little better as well so have designed and paterned a linerlock with thumb stud and spring tab to be external to the knife so there wont be a need to cut a recess into the bolster which I have allways thought detracted from the look af the knife. Thought is to inset a piece of greenstone ( NZ Jade ) into the handle/frame. Be a first for me so lots to learn on this one. Anyway here are a pic or two of the finished pair and the pocketknife pattern.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2678 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of reverenddan
posted Hide Post
Quite handsome!

Where do I get in line for mine?

Most people are bothered by those portions of Scripture they do not understand, it is the passages I do understand that bother me. (Twain)

Posts: 203 | Location: Missouruh | Registered: 01 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
These are just made for my own satisfaction, because I once lost an expensive knife. I do use my knives a lot so I decided to make my own and enjoy the chalenge.Have often wondered how many of the makers actuallt use thier designs as I have found that the knife must be able to be used just as comfortably - easily with blade up or down as in up for legging out and down for slicing-skining.Some of the designs with defined finger notches would make blade up work less than optimal. I have been using and making since the 60,s and this is the most easily used and workable design I have found. Have just got the pocketknife to a working state and now have to decide how to set the greenstone into the handle. Have over 40 hours into it so far. The liners and handles are Titanium with a 440 blade. The titanium has used up a few files so far.
Will post the finished knife when done.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

Posts: 2678 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those are some beautiful knives; congratulations!!!!

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of reverenddan
posted Hide Post
Quick question if I may, what's the steel used? I see the tool it's cut from but don't recognize it.

Thanks

Most people are bothered by those portions of Scripture they do not understand, it is the passages I do understand that bother me. (Twain)

Posts: 203 | Location: Missouruh | Registered: 01 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
reverenddan if you are asking about the steel that I used for the African Blackwood handled knife, it was my grandfathers scrub slasher from the 1890,s. I had a friend of a friend who is a forging 'smith' harden and temper the blade and he said it was a a very good spring steel,and while he believes it to be a good type, the exact composition is unknown., It holds a good edge although it hasn't had a serious workout as yet. Just carrying this knife is a pleasure and a reminder of the fine old gentleman who was my grandfather.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.