New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gluing scales to make a handle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looking for a the right adhiesive to glue the scales on the steel of the knife handle before using brass 1/8" pins to pin the scales. What glue or adheasive is best to use with buffalo horn, and what to use with wood or other materials. please advise.

Posts: 259 | Location: up state New York USA | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I use 15 or 30 min epoxy.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8342 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information.

Posts: 259 | Location: up state New York USA | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Anyone out there using T-88 Epoxy?

I have some wood handled knives I made in the 70s glued with T-88 and they are still going.

The original uses for T-88 was marine and aircraft construction so I guess lifespan is kinda important as well as strength.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4220 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
I use 15 or 30 min epoxy.

+1

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of aktoklat
posted Hide Post
Using wood scales on a full tang. Gorilla glue is top rated. A member at bladefrums did an exclusive test using various handle materials with full tang and hidden tang. Gorilla wood is tops for full tang and wood operation. Be sure to clamp adequately.

Focus on the leading edge!

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always use 2-ton 30 minute epoxy. Never had a problem.

Posts: 265 | Location: Bulverde, Texas | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote