New
Find
Notify
Tools

new pocket knife
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have carried the same old Gerber folding utility pocket knife for 15 or 20 years. I'm always looking at knives and I think I finally found the right one to replace it. (I really liked the Gerber so I was in no hurry.) I have been carrying a Spyderco Yojimbo 2 for about a month now and love it. It is advertised as a tactical folder and as best I can tell it would be a good one. I can also report that it is a great knife for opening mail, cutting cardboard, slicing cheese and cutting sprouts in the apple orchard. It is larger and heavier than the old Gerber but it fits my hand well and carries on the clip or just dropped into a jeans pocket. It seems to be designed as a right handed knife but I find it easy to use in one handed operation with either right or left hand. The old Gerber is still completely functional but it has been retired.

Posts: 815 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to replace pocket folders every few years from the age of 8 until I bought and started carrying my Buck Wrangler in March of 1990. The Wrangler was new but out of production when I bought it and have I found it to be perfect for my needs. A knife that is perfect for one will not be perfect for everyone though. I have misplaced my Buck a few times and have been in near panic mode until I located it!

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1187 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I still have most of the knives that I have ever used except for a couple that were lost and one or two that were sold as new. My dad has given me a couple but I think his daily carry knife is still the same one for at least 50 years and probably longer. The blade is only a sliver of what it used to be.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Spyderco makes some fine, if pricey, knives. You can hardly go wrong with one.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
Spyderco makes some fine, if pricey, knives. You can hardly go wrong with one.

Thanks gato for getting me started on the native 5 - love the knife.

First one on amazon was $94 ish on amazon.

Academy has been on clearance at 68. I bought one - may buy another and then be set for life.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote