THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM KNIVES AND KNIFE MAKING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Knives and Knife Making    What does it take to get started stock removal method?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What does it take to get started stock removal method?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was wondering what it takes to get started on the stock removal knife making method. I did a search but didn't find anything. is there a good book?

what does a guy need in his shop? I figure it this way, you have to cut the steel to shape, grind the bevel and sharpen. you have to heat treat at some point. handles have to be shaped and attached. How are the pins mozaic pins made?

I have a small shop here, some of the things i have that might help

-1" belt sander
-2"x72" belt grinder
-combo disc and belt sander (4" belt 6" disc?)

thanks guys. there is a local guy who's knives I really like, he is a barber. My uncle is going to have him cut his hair tomorrow and I am thinking about going with him to see if the guy would help line me out or show me some things.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DAGO RED
Good advise on the $50 workshop book,it will give you plenty of info to get started,with a few files and other tools you'll discover from the book it's a foot n the door.

Posts: 64 | Location: Florida | Registered: 18 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.amazon.com/How-Make-Knives-Richard-Barney/dp/087341389X

There are also videos out that show how to flat grind a blade.

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
this site may be of interest to you...
http://hossom.com/tutorial/jonesy/

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Buying a Square Wheel would be an excellent place to start.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8344 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto on the Square Wheel Grinder.
I bought a Bader Grinder when I started making knives 27 years ago, and is still working.
You'll need a grinder set up to run 2"x72" belts.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good advice on the $50 Knife Shop.

Additionally, Bob Engnath ground blades for others to finish. He made nearly 100,000 during his lifetime. His manual and his advice got a huge number of knifemakers started ... including me. Hellova Guy, that fella.

Engnath Site

You'll find lots of interesting things here.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Right on about Bob Engnath. He was one of a kind.
Too bad he died so young..

one of us
Picture of Ropes
posted Hide Post
I have some plans for a grinder I found on the net. There are many out there including mstarlings website. Stock removal with a file also works but there are 10000 things a grinder can be used for other than knives. I would build or buy a variable speed grinder.. email me if you would like a copy of the pdf file.

John

Posts: 549 | Location: Denial | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have a 1" belt grinder, a 2x72 belt grinder, and a disk sander already ... you have everything you need. Just add some material, some good 2x72" belts and make some knives.

Mosaic pins are made by fitting small pieces into a copper, brass, or stainless steel tube and forcing epoxy through the tube. Takes some playing around to find nice patterns with the internal pieces you can get and fit in. They can be purchased in 12" sections a number of places.

Heat treat is a problem. When we acquired real hardness testing equipment, we found our HT was not as good or consistent as we thought it was. It was not bad, but it was not the perfection we wanted. So we built computer controlled molten salt pots. They are the way to go if you're doing a bunch. The building of pots is detailed on the site.

HT can also be bought. Dee Holder does it for others, as does Texas Knifemaker's Supply if I remember correctly. Both use inert gas covered electric furnaces. Dee also does cryogenic treatment afterwards.

The most important thing is to simply do some grinding. Get some O1, 1084 or 1095 from someone like Admiral Steel and go to work. Those materials can be HT'd by classic heat and dunk methods for your first experiences. Grinding blades takes some skill and it comes with experience.

Eventually, hardness testing equipment is important if you do your own HT. You really cannot tell to a high degree of precision "by guess and by golly."

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have made some very nice knifes with a cheap 6 inch bench grinder and some old wood chipper blades from the local would plant.

The grinder and bucket of water to keep them cool. It can be done takes time to keep them from burning.

If I would going to do lots of them a better grinder would be nice.

Posts: 19354 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote