Find
Notify
Tools

gerber mark 2
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted
Today i bougth a gerber mark 2 number m9841s ,in Santa Fe, Argentina ,i stopped in a big gunshop called pajaro loco ,and the owner remembered me and said i have something you will appreciate and gave it at very very low price i was very happy ,afer a nigthmare in the mud and water hunting ducks ,i destroyed one of my 4x4s tires ,and this at least disminished the bad things of the day.The gerber mark 2 was the favorite of legends like MAD DOG SHRIVER the only operator who used a lever action in Vietnam war ,Mike Echanis the great martial arts trainers of SF and UDTS .Can you provide more info about his famous knife.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Juan, here are a few notes..... Wink

The Gerber Mark II was a fighting knife manufactured by Gerber Legendary Blades from 1966 to 2000, with an additional limited run of 1500 in 2002. It had a double-edged spear-point wasp-waisted blade, and used a distinctive handle similar to that of the Fairbairn-Sykes fighting knife developed during World War II. Later versions used a partially serrated blade, with the serrations located where the earlier blades were wasp-waisted. The Mark II was commonly carried by US troops in the Vietnam War, and is second only to the KA-BAR knife in fame. The Mark II gained additional fame when it was featured in a memorable scene in the scifi/action blockbuster Aliens.

During the Vietnam war, some production runs of this knife had a 5-degree offset between the blade and the grip in order to ride in the sheath more comfortably. This offset was intended to compensate for the angle of attack between the clavicles and position the blade for a more accurate strike into the vital organs when performing a rear overhead strike or upward thrust into the abdominal area from behind (as used for sentry removal). Ironically, the military's base/post exchanges discontinued selling these knives under the reasoning 'of not in good taste' or 'too brutal'.

ANOTHER
Gerber produced the Mark II in 1967 in support of our troops in Vietnam; the early Mark II’s had a canted blade to keep the knife, when sheathed, close to the body. This knife, only rivaled by a Randall, was considered a favorite with the US armed forces; less costly to buy than a Randall and easier to obtain, it placed a quality tool in the hands of those that needed it the most. Knifes have become a tradition with our Military from days of the Civil War. A good knife was an essential tool no one wanted to be without, and its overall use was unlimited.

Today these vintage tools have become highly sought after by avid collectors. Randall’s Gerber Mark II, I, Command II, and I’s were produced by Gerber from 1967 – 1986, when Gerber decided to cease production. These once “taken for granted†knives have now become highly desirable.

ANOTHER

http://www.angelfire.com/art/enchanter/stiletto.html

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the advantage of the offset blade in making an attack...but I can tell you it helps keep the knife closer to the body when carried in the inverted position on one side of my load-bearing "suspenders". I have both a Gerber MkII, and Randall #1.(There was also a Gerber Mk1 once that didn't make it out of Rhodesia...)These knives have provided me with excellent service in unpleasant places under difficult conditions. Of the 3..I'll take the Randall should it ever be necessary to "go there" again.
Your experience may vary...

Posts: 953 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
I just bougth the gerber because its a classic ,and was used by the extreme efficient sog operators in Vietnam.
I never was in combat and my experience is only limited at what my instructors teached me ,some kali and some army instruction.I use this king of knives preferably biggers for pig sticking .
The discussion above one or double edge never ended and some great trainers like the green beret Greg Walker prefer the dagas ,Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote