New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bark River questions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have several small knives, so I want something “full size”.
A general camp/hunting knife.
After looking over some designs, I found that most of the ones I liked were made by “Bark River’.
But I need some advise to help narrow the choice.

Steel;
D 2, A 2 or 154 CM

Handel;

Micarta or G-10

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Posts: 254 | Location: Kaliforina | Registered: 31 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I have 2 Bark River knives and I am very happy with them. I have the Gameskeeper and Highland Special. I just purchased the Highland but hae been using the Gameskeeper for a couple years now. In my opinion it is about the perfect full size knife. The A2 steel really holds an edge well but can be difficult to sharpen. I use a diamond stone and it works great. D2 is my favorite knife steel but the A2 Bark River uses really performs. I cant honestly tell a difference in performance between them. My Gameskeeper has the black Micarta scales and I really like it. They offer a lot of choices and can fit your desires for a knife handle. The micarta is extremely tough. I would like to find a Gameskeeper with bighorn sheep scales - they made a special run a few years ago and a buddy picked one up - it is a beautiful knife.

If you want a real tough field knife that can take a beating and s well priced take a look at the Ontario Knives RAT 5 made from D2. You might have to check on ebay and other online dealers to find the D2 version since it is no longer offered. I carried a RAT 5 on 3 deployments and found it to be an outstanding blade.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe I should clarify my questions;

What’s the practical difference between Micarta and G-10 handles ?

What’s the practical difference between A-2 and D-2 blades ?

Going back and forth between the Bravo-1 and Fox River, any comments ?

Also considering a Cold Steel Master Hunter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, and I admit it isn't worth much because it's a sample of one, I bought a small Bark River skinner type a few years back and it performed miserably regarding edge holding. I threw it in a box somewhere and haven't used it since. Nice looking knives but I wouldn't buy another one.

From a practical POV there is no significant difference between micarta and G10, both are nearly indestructible short of fire. Micarta probably scratches a bit easier than G10 but it is still very tough.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A2 is an excellent tool steel[not stainless] for blades and should be more popular than it is ! I'm glad Bark River is using it .
D2 is at least 'semi-stainless '.Though popular it doesn't make the best blade mostly due to the large carbides in the steel.
154CM is an excellent stainless blade steel. The powder metal version CPM154 is my favorite .

one of us
posted Hide Post
The more I try to narrow it down, the more knifes I "add' to my short list.

Now looking at the Bark River Gunny SS as well.

Any thoughts on Bark Rivers "Sandvik 19C27" SS used in the Gunny SS ?

one of us
posted Hide Post
So many knives, so little time. Wink

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I ordered a Gunny SS, with green canvas micarta.