New
Find
Notify
Tools

Da "Claw"
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've hunted this guy for two years. A cull we call "The Claw". I have always at least three game cameras set out 27/7/365. Sometimes 5. I have pictures of him over the last two years. Almost always at night. Only one game cam photo in daylight. A couple of my buds have night time game cam photos of him about a mile apart in each direction. I was able to close the deal yesterday on my 66th birthday about 15 minutes before dark, when he stuck his nose out of the scrum, at a location I'd never seen him before.

This Jerry Fisk/WhiteRiver collaboration knife made short work of unzipping the "Claw".

This forged "hunter" by Mike Williams worked well for liberating the "Claw"s backstraps.

and this Joel Clark made short work of the celebratory rib-eye steak........

BTW,

after all was said and done, I could not find the Fisk/WR knife. Talk about being heartsick.

When I get up in the AM at the lease, the first thing I put on is my pants with this rig! I don't always skin with it, but other than my Boker Kalashnikov,

it is the knife that I use most when hunting.

I was devastated. JF was kind enough to put a convex grind on this knife before he sent it to me.

I looked for multiple minutes all over the area where I skinned the "Claw" to no avail. I caped out the "Claw" and dumped the guts in a 55 gallon garbage can lined with a heavy duty plastic bag. When I went to the bone yard to dump the guts I used the toe of my boot to separate the offal. Lo and behold there was the Fisk.

Needless to say, I was jazzed!

ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What you're saying is that after you finished that 1/10th of Jim Beam you couldn't find your knife until after you sobered up? I believe it.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ray B:
What you're saying is that after you finished that 1/10th of Jim Beam you couldn't find your knife until after you sobered up? I believe it.

RB,

Actually, no.

Perhaps what I'm going to say is too much "inside baseball", but pay attention and you might learn something!

I learned early on that one "sells the sizzle", not the steak! (Hint) Staging is a big part of an effective post. Props go a long way toward an effective presentation/post.

one more by Mike Williams, walrus tusk and leaf pattern damascus

one more of the Mike Williams hunter and a bottle of "Panty Remover",(at least that is what we called it in high school), part of a nourishing Hill Country Deer Lease Breakfast

a couple of RWL "lamb" repros and..........

gut deer?

Mother's Milk

heading down to Rosa's Cantina

Turkey Time

Aces N' 8's.

Many folk that buy custom knives are collectors only. I am a collector/user. I've found that the knife-makers that I deal with enjoy seeing their creations "used". I use mine and post pix.

So considering the foregoing.........

I shot "da claw" about 15 minutes before dark. It took me a while to find him, load him on my ATV, then go back and get my gear together, then load him on my ATV, then make my exit and go the 1.5 miles back to camp.

Then, as we do not have electricity at our camp, I had to start my generator and run electrical cord to the skinning pole, take the deer off the atv, and hoist him up. Then I decide which knives I plan to use. Both Jerry Fisk and Mike Williams are ABS Master Smiths. I do not own a straight Fisk knife as they are typically above my pay grade. I do have four of Mike Williams knives. I figured that it would be fun to use knives by these two gentleman that are gracious enough to post on this forum. Kind of a tribute to them on my part. Not so much about the whiskey as about the blades (hint, hint)

I drank a Scottish ale while I was skinning, but at 4.5% ABV, I was not in my cups. I'm 66 as of yesterday and had been going since 4:30 that morning and by 9PM, when I completed the job, I was getting "tuckered". I used the Fisk to skin. I slipped it into the silverskin and fat that overlays the backstraps to take the photo. Evidently, the Fisk became dislodged and dropped into the gut bucket, which at the time I did not notice. I used the Williams "hunter" to take the front quarters and then to carve out the backstraps. It did a marvelous job and I was exceptionally pleased with the way it performed while separating the backstraps from the carcass. I told my bud I'd be finished by 9 PM. It was 9:05 when I was done. He had the steaks done around 9:15 and then we ate. After we ate I went to clean up my mess. It was then that I realized the Fisk was missing. Looked for it a bit that night. Didn't find it. Looked for it again Friday AM, also to no avail. One of the last things before I left I took the guts down to the boneyard, that's when I found the knife that had dropped into the gut bucket from where it was lodged in the silver-skin!

ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lost okie
posted Hide Post
Happy 66 G.W. I really do like that rifle.
No fun around here; has become a slave labor camp.I have been hitting 70 hour weeks since Nov
Your props are always spot on. An interesting mix of incongruity!
Merry Christmas!!

Posts: 350 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 01 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad you found your knife, I really like the knives with the white handles. Call myself looking for one.

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 580 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Happy birthday from a fellow Texas knife nut.

Surprised you did not get chastised for the gun/liquer coozy .

Yes, that is a real store .

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Killartist:
Happy birthday from a fellow Texas knife nut.

Surprised you did not get chastised for the gun/liquer coozy .

Yes, that is a real store .

well then,

let's give it another try!

Wet aged the meat from "da claw" for six days before I put up the quarters and backstraps.

This evening I employed one of my Menefee's and made quick work of the tenders, neck roasts and flank meat.

ya!

GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Happy new year to you all. I just now saw this post. Been getting ready for DSC table.

GW good story with happy ending. Glad you getting some use age out of and glad I you found it. See y'all in Dallas.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad you found your knife. I just turned 65 a few weeks ago and lost my wallet. That hasn't showed up yet.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As always nice knife pictures.

Posts: 19310 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Boone's Farm is a little surprising, though.

I thought they limited sales of that to Adults over 21 (or kids with proper fake ID), but under 30.

Good read, and fun photos. Happy New Year!!

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Boone's Farm

Drank bit of it back in the 70.'s

Posts: 19310 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by farbedo:
The Boone's Farm is a little surprising, though.

I thought they limited sales of that to Adults over 21 (or kids with proper fake ID), but under 30.

Good read, and fun photos. Happy New Year!!

Jeremy

One grows old, should he live long enough.

Does not mean that he has to lose his enjoyment at the wonder of God's creation and seeking ways to take pleasure in the moment. Spontaneity, and seizing the moment to make a memory are something I endeavor to act upon.

I hunt with a group of guy with whom I've grown old with. The old saying, the older we get, the better we wuz. One of our group is probably one of the quirkiest folks I know. In hunting camp on any given weekend in hunting season there will be a half dozen of us. IIRC we had just come in from a hunt. We take all our meals communally. As in any small group over time there will develop a pecking order of sorts. Another of our members has a stand about 300 yds from camp. He will walk in about 15 minutes after shooting light, sit in his stand, probably smoke a dozen cigs' in an hour, then get up and come back to camp. By time everyone else gets back, he will be cooking breakfast.

Bill, who one never knows what antic he will pull next broke out this bottle of "panty remover" and poured everyone a shot-glass full for a toast to good times past and to good times in the future. A bottle of Boone's Farm was probably much more appropriate for that occasion that a $500 bottle of Champagne.

newest "pie slicer"

that's nuts!

Americana!

Texas Red!

Revenge on a corn thief!

a prickly "pair"

Standing next to the Abyss, I can see Oregon from my back yard!

ya!

GWB

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
So much good stuff here!! GWB, I absolutely love the rifle you used to kill "The Claw" in the first photo. Sako 85 Bavarian? What caliber?

Also, pay no mind to anyone who doesn't like your photos or staging. Personally, you make me want to buy every knife you feature in one of those pictures. Outstanding assembly of stuff in those pictures and great backgrounds. Very cool!

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Trouthunter
posted Hide Post
HAH! I lost a Randall the same way and found it as you did by going to the bone pile and finding it. I was sick for a few.

We should get together and discuss knives some time. I'm down in El Campo, TX so we're not far apart, talking knives and drinking good bourbon and beer (not so much the stuff you had Big Grin) is way up there with me.

Glad you found that Fisk...that would have been heart breaking.

Posts: 75 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
G.W , I think it would be a treat for everyone if you did a whole thread containing nothing but your excellent "props" pictures for us.

Posts: 239 | Location: Southeast USA | Registered: 01 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
There are only a very limited number of people on AR I enjoy the post of as much as GW.

I have a few custom knives, and I like using them as well. I don't have much of a place to use them. So it is nice to live vicariously through him.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote