Find
Notify
Tools

Gurkha knife 101 school?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
Anyone know anything about Gurkha knives?

I have owned a few in my life, and am interested in buying some non-collectable but nice specimens from Nepal. I just don't know if there are makers or companies that sell better ones than others.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got one from Gurkha House it is a bit on the thick blade side. I think it started out life as a truck spring. I looked at Cold Steel's version too but wanted a more Gurkha type.
If I buy anymore they will be antiques

Posts: 2663 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
IMA has real kukri knives for sale.

These all came from a building in Nepal where there were literally thousands of rifles and knives in storage for over 100 years.

http://www.ima-usa.com/origina...abbard-unmarked.html

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest you read and look here:

Himalyan Imports

Good quality and good people to deal with. I have quite a few of their products. Be aware there are many different models to choose from.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are great knives and come in many sizes . Mine is similar to the military ,12" blade , 24 oz .Capable of chopping big stuff. I also have an AGRussell one of stainless 440B of 16oz [no longer made ! ].Both are working knives ,excellent.
The truck springs most desired are 5160M steel for M-B trucks .Not a fancy steel but very appropriate for the job !
Warning there has always been a demand for wall hangers so some are not useable !
Get them from a good source like HI.
Kukris are fine tools !!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not looking for a wall hanger, so I'll pass on the $100 plus price point per unit.

I want newly made and issued ones that the Gurkas are currently using.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.bladeforums.com/for...5176-Lightweight-M43
Here's a good bit of info.I suppose you'd want a M43 , standard or light weight version. Have fun ,bigger knives for bigger trees ! coffee

one of us
posted Hide Post
These people claim to be official Ghurka knife suppliers. Don't know if it is true or not. I do know that HI (Himalyan Imports) kamis (master knife makers) make a fine knife that is worth the money. However, it is your money so I am offering this as an alternative. You can probably also find some on ebay if you want to sort thru the junk.

http://www.thekhukurihouse.com...ts.php?id=3637fc2012

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look for one with a "UB" stamp on it. That would be one of "Uncle Bill's" students.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I've long been fascinated by these knives, but don't have a lot of chopping to do. How useful were they in combat compared to, say, a Sykes-Fairbairn or a KaBar Marine?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, it depends on who you ask. Generally speaking the two you mentioned were for close in stabbing/killing and, in trained hands, a ghurka was used for lopping off body parts, including heads, etc. In trained hands, I wouldn't say one type was really better than another, and I certainly wouldn't want to go against either one, unarmed, but the speed and bravery of the Ghurkas make it a fearsome weapon with reach.

There's a well known story that happened a few years ago, where a Ghurka soldier was going home on a train when it underwent an attempted robbery by a gang of about 40 men. Ghurka sat quietly until they were going to assault a young girl, she looked at him and said, "You're a soldier, help me!" He did, proceeding to kill 3 and wound 8 of the armed attackers with his kukri while putting the others to route.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
Another snippet from a British article about Ghurkas.....

quote:
The Gurkhas have had a formidable reputation in the West ever since the Anglo-Nepal War of 1814-16. Having failed to conquer them - which is why Nepal has never been part of either the British Empire or the Commonwealth - the British did the next best thing, which was to sign them up. Since then, they have proved exemplary comrades for two centuries.

Their conduct is, perhaps, best summed up by Rifleman Lachhiman Gurung, who found himself under repeated Japanese attack in Burma in 1945. With his comrades badly injured, he fought off 200 enemy troops single-handed - literally - having lost an arm and eye.
When a relief force found him the next morning, his position was littered with 31 Japanese corpses. The 169 survivors had run away. Rifleman Gurung - who now lives in Middlesex - became one of the 26 members of the Brigade of Gurkhas to win the Victoria Cross (there would, undoubtedly, have been more but the VC was not extended to Gurkhas until 1911).

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
I've long been fascinated by these knives, but don't have a lot of chopping to do. How useful were they in combat compared to, say, a Sykes-Fairbairn or a KaBar Marine?

A S-K knife or a KaBar is a toy compared to a Ghurka knife.

Knife to a sword fight, in the hands of someone who could accurate throw either one maybe it would be a little less one sided.

I have used cheap Cold Steel Ghurkas to chop things in small pieces (multiple layers of rope plastic and cardboard). It also does very well in a stabbing situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxzx1YytRnQ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's the cheapo version I had, hell of a chopper.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDsSSuFSkTY

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men...u-join-the-gurkhas1/

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Great stuff, Gato!

beer

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
When we pulled into Hong Kong in 1993 (Still in UK hands) one of the orders to the sailors was, to paraphrase: don't fuck with the Ghurkas - they are the real deal and you'll lose. Badly. Sailors get drunk and will pick fights with anybody, often with bad results. Luckily everyone made ship's movement and none were left in a shore hospital or jail.

Dave

Posts: 917 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a teenager (13 ish early 1980s) a couple of friends and myself were at a friend's older brother's wedding in Bombay.

There as a old gurkha watchman there and we kids were having a blast with him. Everything was jovial and fun till one of my buddies decided to un sheath the kurki that the gurkha watchman had on him. The guy went ballistic and wanted to lob some heads off for touching and un sheathing his kurki. We kids were much younger and faster than him by around 50 years and we managed to get back into the wedding.

The adults had to protect us and a bunch of them went and talked some sense into the watchman for wanting to kill us. They gave him a fair bit of booze, told him he was off duty and probably gave him a few months or 1/2 year salary to forget the incident.

After that day I never want to mess with any Gurkha.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A7Dave:
When we pulled into Hong Kong in 1993 (Still in UK hands) one of the orders to the sailors was, to paraphrase: don't fuck with the Ghurkas - they are the real deal and you'll lose. Badly. Sailors get drunk and will pick fights with anybody, often with bad results. Luckily everyone made ship's movement and none were left in a shore hospital or jail.

Same story with every port call when I was on active duty. Ghurkas in Singapore, Dubai and everywhere else.