New
Find
Notify
Tools

Axe
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I want to buy a well made axe for no reason other than wanting an axe (or axes) and being terrified of using my chainsaw (it is too much fun and I am clumsy).

I have heard good things about Swedish axe makers - gransfor.

Any recommendation ?

Thanks

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Yes the Granfor Bruks are very nice axes. But it depends on what you want out of it. If your just wanting a nice axe to use instead of a chainsaw than Fiskers make some exceptional ones for less money and they work better.

I heat my house in the winter 100% with wood so I cut a lot of firewood during the year. No brand in my experience equals a Fiskers hatchet, axe or splitting maul for ease of use and efficiency - including Granfors Bruk and I also own several of them.

Now saying that I'm sure the knife snobs here in this forum will soon chime in and burn me at the stake! That's ok in any edged tool I'm far more interested in efficiency than just looks. stir

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2786 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any thing with out a wooden handle. I broken and replaced a few.

Estwing axes for lite work I like their camping axe E45A I believe is the model number.

For serious work a chain saw works much better say for any thing over 4 inches in Dia. But a good heavier single or double bit if one really wants to chop logs.

For brush under a inch or so in Dia. a machete works better.

I was taught axe work by my Dad he grew up logging with them and cross cut saws. He preferred modern chain saws. Axes are a lot of work.

Heck I have all kinds of heads laying around if you want to pay the shipping and put a handle on one I'll send you one.

but I am guessing that after a few logs or trees you well be learning how to use your chain saw safely.

Chaps and good boots are your friend. There are two types of people who use chain saws ones that have cut themselves and ones that well.

Axes are dangerous also it is easy to lop a toe cut a foot in half or sink it into your leg.

Posts: 19313 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I want a axe that is functional but will have minimal real use.

It has to be pretty/decorative too as I will probably leave it in my gun room in the corner.

I like wood handles.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought two from here http://www.northmen.com/en/about-us/who-where-and-why. I use them and they are beautiful.

Posts: 1284 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J_Zola:
I bought two from here http://www.northmen.com/en/about-us/who-where-and-why. I use them and they are beautiful.

Well that money for a working axe have at it.

when you break the handle let us know.

There is a reason those old designs went away.

Posts: 19313 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless you're an exercise nut, one good sized tree with an axe will prompt you to learn to use a chain saw safely.

If you don't know how to use an axe safely, and how to keep it razor sharp, you're probably going to hurt yourself with one.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The axes were sharp as a razor after hewing a 8x10 oak mantel 10foot long. Arms felt 6 inches longer thought.

Posts: 1284 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use an axe made by Lin Rhea from Arkansas. He hand forges and makes them traditionally. He inserts a hard edge or could insert Damascus cutting bit. I had him make me a cruiser style axe which works for what I want.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used many different axes through the years in my work and definitely like wood handles. In 30 yrs have probably broke less than 5 handles. Cheap and easy to repair. Still the best feeling handle for work. My axes are sharper than most peoples knives.

Posts: 296 | Location: Clyde Park, MT | Registered: 29 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Depends on size and use, and style you like of course. There is also a price point.

https://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/
http://www.hultafors.com/products/cutting/axes/
http://www.northmen.com/en/products/axes
http://www.autinetools.com/en/catalog/axes

and much more.

I know European brands the most.

Posts: 2067 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I built log cabins early in my career and I used Snow and Nealley axes, hatchets and curved adzes.
The served me well. Still carry the hatchet elk hunting for the pelvis bone.
I live in logging country and I've never known a logger who would own a steel handled ax. thumbdown

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2757 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With the advent of the Internet you might be able to track one down in a Northwest second hand store- they have old 'Chemical Ax" with 4.5 lb heads. they were used back in the day prior to the widespread availablility of chainsaws.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote