https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5021043/m/3231072612

09 December 2015, 07:27
loiblb
What grinder to start out with?
What grinder to start out with?
Thanks
09 December 2015, 07:44
cooksey
The best you can afford with a 8-10 inch contact wheel(serrated) a platten would be nice. square Wheel,Bador,Etc..
09 December 2015, 14:12
lost okie
KMG with a variable speed 2 hp.
A workhorse machine.
Buy what you will end up with, will save you time and money.
Mike
09 December 2015, 17:11
Gatogordo
Here is a site that discusses nearly all of the common grinders. He likes the KMG as well (not that I am doubting Mr. William's advice). Grinders

If the initial cost of around $2000 is too high, you might consider building one yourself and saving considerable cash.

Damn, I nearly bought a square wheel back in the 70's for less than $500 but I couldn't pay the price for something I knew was going to be a hobby for me. Now they are about 4 times that.

OTOH, that decision not to buy might have changed the direction of my life so I'm glad it cost what it did then.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.
10 December 2015, 20:11
lindy2
Just for the heck of it, go to U-Tube and type in Belt Grinder. You will be busy watching for the next couple of days.
11 December 2015, 18:32
loiblb
Thanks for the info.

So far the Coote looks like a grinder I can get started on.

My last 4 knives were not anything to show off. I think the grinder in a box could work if I think I need two grinders.