THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM KNIVES AND KNIFE MAKING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Knives and Knife Making    Pic links added for Advice on William Harsey knife.

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pic links added for Advice on William Harsey knife.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of FLGrizzy
posted
Hey guys ... I've had a very nice knife for a few years now and I can't find ANYTHING about it. (William W Harsey himself...NOT a William Harsey Jr.).
All the blade says is "William W Harsey maker. Creswell Oregon".

Any ideas ?????

https://ibb.co/fNhLUk

https://ibb.co/c7GfUk

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS !!!!

Posts: 489 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: 27 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You're not trying very hard. Punch "William W Harsey maker. Creswell Oregon" into Google and you'll find quite a bit of information on him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Harsey_Jr

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
The links work now . . . well one link does, but shows little of the knife!

Link does not work, searches for a different name that the one being discussed and "fails".

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
William “Bill” Harsey Jr. was born in Oregon, 1955. As part of a logging family he spent a large part of his childhood fishing and hunting and he grew up knowing the importance of a great knife. Bill never forgot the significance of a sharp edged tool even when he attended Oregon University, earning his BFA in Fine and Applied Arts. After graduation he followed his passion and began custom knife making one-of-a-kind folding and fixed blades.

However, he is most known for his collaborations with various knife companies. Bill has done much collaboration with Chris Reeve Knives producing such knives as the Green Beret and the Pacific. The Green Beret, known to the U.S. Army Special Forces as the Yarborough, has either a 5.5” or 7” blade. With it’s durable textured black canvas Micarta handle it’s a simple, but effective tool.

Another Harsey design is the Chris Reeve Pacific is a 6” clip point blade with a black canvas Micarta handle. The blade has a double row of serrati ons on both sides making it ideal for cutting through fibrous materials.

Bill has also collaborated with Spartan Blades. Their second collaboration produced the Spartan Harsey Hunter, a combat and hunting knife. Their third collaboration was the Spartan Harsey Model II, an excellent combat and field knife.

Then there’s his collaboration with Fantoni Knives creating the HB 01 and HB 02. Both are simple folding 4.25” spear point blades. Bill has collaborated with many more and to this day he continues to create and collaborate with other high-end knife companies.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

one of us
posted Hide Post
from wiki:
quote:
Harsey is a custom knife maker, designing and crafting one-of-a-kind folding and fixed blade knives, often to order. In Battle Blades, author Greg Walker identifies Harsey as producing superb edges and blade finishes on his knives, as well as making knives specifically for Al Mar and Colonel Rex Applegate.[2] Even so, he is best known for his collaboration projects, in which he serves as knife designer for various knife companies.

Harsey collaborated with Colonel Rex Applegate to design Gerber's Applegate-Fairbairn line.[3] He worked with Chief James Watson to design Gerber's Watson/Harvey Silver Trident and worked with Chris Reeve and Matt Larsen to design the LHR Combat Knife. Harsey designed the Neil Roberts Warrior Knife, which is dedicated to the memory of Petty Officer First Class Neil Roberts, who was killed in action Afghanistan in 2002[4] and the Pacific / First Group Knife, commemorating the 50th anniversary of the U.S. Army Special Forces in Asia.[5]

One of Harsey's most significant designs was that of the Yarborough Knife, which is named after Lt. Gen. William P. Yarborough, known as the “father of modern Special Forces.”.[6] The Yarborough Knife is presented to each graduate of the United States Army Special Forces Qualification Course, with each of these knives possessing its own serial number, and logged in an official record book maintained by the United States Army Special Operations Command.[6] The honor of the Yarborough Knife has become nearly equivalent to that of the Green Beret.[7] To quote the USASOC News Service, "As each Green Beret crosses the stage upon graduation of the SFQC, he receives a legacy of the Brotherhood of Special Forces, signing in the pages of an illustrious history, shared by a select few. Only a few short years after its conception, the honor of the Yarborough Knife has now become almost as large of a part of the heritage and tradition of Special Forces as the Green Beret, and has been shared with a small number of dignitaries such as President George W. Bush.".

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of FLGrizzy
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys...
I've scoured the internet and YES, there is information on William W. Harsey himself... What I need to do is post pics of this particular knife made by him. I believe it is a "One of a kind" or prototype of his and it may be worth quite a bit of money.

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS !!!!

Posts: 489 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: 27 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most knives by custom makers are "one of a kind." Why not take the easy route and ask him?

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of FLGrizzy
posted Hide Post
Thanks again Gato.... My reason for not asking him ....Because ... I believe he is Deceased.
faint

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS !!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FLGrizzy:
Thanks again Gato.... My reason for not asking him ....Because ... I believe he is Deceased.
faint

That would certainly make the answer, if any, interesting. I am checking now. So far, I find no evidence of his death.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of FLGrizzy
posted Hide Post
Thanks again.... I could swear I read that he was and his Son took over... ?? Did the picture links work ?

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS !!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
links worked. No Pulitzers for pic quality.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of FLGrizzy
posted Hide Post
Haaa haaa haaa ... you're right about the pics !! A Buddy of mine is taking it to a gun and knife show trying to get info and he sent me the pics

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS !!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, after all the reading and research I've done on Harsey, I'd value that knife at between $500-750 on the upper end retail market (knife sites, such as Arizona Knives) and, because I own a lot of knives, I wouldn't buy it for $500, even if it was a one-off. I'm not trying to burst any bubbles here, just giving an honest opinion.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of FLGrizzy
posted Hide Post
I understand Gato.. I appreciate your info and all that you've done to help.
I'm thinking of selling it to get my money out? .. (I paid 375.00 last year at a knife show (but, I never did anything with it and I'm not a knife collector... I just loved the looks and feel of it at the time).
The mystery is, I just can't find this specific knife from Harsey Sr.

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS !!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I understand Gato.. I appreciate your info and all that you've done to help.
I'm thinking of selling it to get my money out? .. (I paid 375.00 last year at a knife show (but, I never did anything with it and I'm not a knife collector... I just loved the looks and feel of it at the time).
The mystery is, I just can't find this specific knife from Harsey Sr.

No one asked, which means a wise man would keep his mouth shut, but that never stopped me before, so I would opine that you paid a reasonable price for the knife and if you get out even or close, you have done well.

AFAICT he makes a well known quality fighting knife that someone who likes him might well pay more than you did for this knife. I'd post it on Blade Forums, but I think you have to pay a fee to do so, at $450-500 and see what happens. Be very honest in description of knife describing scrapes, scratches, locations, etc. DON"T sharpen it, unless you are very good at doing so without scratching blade or changing angles. Good luck.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
faint

I know this is an old thread, but Bill Harsey is very much alive and well, and still in Oregon. In addition to being a top notch knife maker, he ties some beautiful flies.

Posts: 182 | Location: Western Washington | Registered: 12 April 2008Reply With Quote