Find
Notify
Tools

Muela Bowie Knife.....
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
I'm thinking about buying the biggest classic Bowie Knife that Muela makes (8 3/8"). Here's their lineup of Bowies:

I'm debating on whether to buy just the BW-22 (big one all the way on the left) or the combination sheath that comes with the BW-22 and the BW-10 (called the piggyback).

What do you guys think?? Any pros/cons to carrying 2 knives instead of 1??

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have knife no. 2 in the photo.

Just a personal preference but I like (and chose) the black synthetic handle that they also make for their range of Bowies.

Mine has made over a dozen trips to Africa and has been used in a million different ways, no complaints. Also it holds a very good edge.

I have several Muela knives and find all of them to be well made, very sturdy and extremely good value for money. Should you buy the Bowie with the additional smaller one on its sheath? Hell why not?

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
i give up. why carry 4 lbs. of knives around on you on any hunt?( especially when the larger one is best suited for clearing roads)

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I often carry a 8" blade or more while pig hunting with dogs. Also sometimes I use a large knife in setting up a stand, especially a climbing stand, cutting brush, vines, etc.

You won't go wrong with a Mulea, I have a 9" double edge that I like very much, pigs don't care for it much.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
i give up. why carry 4 lbs. of knives around on you on any hunt?( especially when the larger one is best suited for clearing roads)

Haha.....well I guess I should have specified. This is going to be my pig stickin' knife....for hog hunting with dogs. Hope that makes a little more sense. Smiler

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
now it makes sense!!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Because you can. Wink

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pichon1:
quote:

Because you can. Wink

Pichon,LMAO! animal Like that reply! clap

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Well thanks to analog_penninsula, I'm awaiting the arrival of my new knife. I thought I was going to buy on of the Muela Bowies, but AP informed me of a hell of a deal on eBay that I just couldn't pass up. It was for a Muela Chevreuil 8 1/4" blade, which retails for $129.00, but I picked it up for $52.00!! Big Grin

It's in the mail as we speak, and I should hopefully get it sometime early next week. I'll post photos as soon as I get it, so be on the lookout.

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
I have a Muela Bowie that I have used for boar hunting and it is one fine piece of steel. You will enjoy yours. knife

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaldMummy
posted Hide Post
I have a Muela .... its the Sioux .. about a 5' blade .. i dont like carrying a huge knife when hunting .. gets in the way.
My 2c

I just like things that go BANG!!!

Posts: 34 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 24 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaldMummy:
I have a Muela .... its the Sioux .. about a 5' blade .. i dont like carrying a huge knife when hunting .. gets in the way.
My 2c

Dude I concur!

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote