THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM KNIVES AND KNIFE MAKING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Knives and Knife Making    New Knife Design & A Couple of Shop Photos

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Knife Design & A Couple of Shop Photos
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Lee Baumgart
posted
This is a new design for me and is christened the Straight Hunter. As the name would indicate, this blade has very little drop. Whenever I design a new knife I like the first one to have handle material that is a little special. I purchased the scales on this knife when I attended the Oregon Knife Collectors show in early April and had this knife specifically in mind as I walked the aisles. These scales are stabilized Maple and have about all the figure and contrast you could possibly want.

Specs for the Straight Hunter are as follows:

Blade Length: 4"
Handle Length; 4 1/4"
Blade Steel: .125" CPM154, HRC61, Satin Finish
Handle: Stabilized Maple, Brass Guard, Brass Mosaic Pins, and Brass Thong Tube

This one is sold, but I have another in the works with Desert Iron handle.

While I was working in my little shop this morning I took a couple of photos. You don't need a lot of room or a lot of equipment to make knives. I have a grinder with a couple of different sized contact wheels and a flat platten attachment, band saw, drill press, and buffer. The buffer is a game changer when it comes to finishing handles! Here's part of my shop, the photos on the wall are mostly from AR members using my knives in the field.

Thanks for looking,
Lee
baumgartknives@gmail.com
Baumgart Handmade Knives

Posts: 570 | Location: Vancouver, WA | Registered: 28 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Very nice design and very clean shop.. Well done

Posts: 6359 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks a lot like a USA knifemaker grinder.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lee Baumgart
posted Hide Post
richj,

Thank you for the comment. Regarding the shop, I have a bit of OCD and I hate looking for things. I can be working at the bench and reach up, without looking, and get what I need. When I have rearranged my Craftsman tool chests to make room for new hand tools, I'm sideways for about a month!

lindy2,

It is. Instead of going with the no-weld version I had it welded by my brother who does that work for a living.

Lee

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lee,

Very nice, clean shop area! Keep up the fine work.

Wes

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
How do you keep so clean with all the metal/grit dust that is constantly being created as you shape a blade?

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
Lee, How much will these knives cost? I really like the semi-skinner I bought from you and one of your straight hunters would be a great companion piece.
Jim White
Prescott, AZ

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lee Baumgart
posted Hide Post
TCLouis, I run a shop vac A LOT. I actually end up with more dust shaping handles then when grinding blades. If you look at the first photo you'll see a plastic square funnel under the contact wheel. When I am working on handles I attach the shop vac to it and run it continuously. It does a good job of capturing most of the dust. I wear ear plugs whenever I run the grinder and a respirator when I'm doing handle work.

Jim, It depends on the handle material. This one went for $349, shipped. Since I made your knife I have switched to stainless steel (CPM154) which costs significantly more than O1 tool steel and has to be sent out for heat treatment.

As an aside, I have been using Jeff Mutz of Tru-Grit Abrasives for heat treatment since I made the switch. His pricing is reasonable and his turn-around time has been good.

Lee
baumgartknives@gmail.com
Baumgart Handmade Knives

one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Lee I will be watching for some with Ironwood scales. Jim

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of john e
posted Hide Post
Lee, have you done a bird and trout with the stabilized maple? The sheep horn knife you made me is going on a moose hunt this fall!
Thanks,
John

"How do we inspire ourselves to greatness when nothing less will do" -- Invictus

Posts: 439 | Location: south texas | Registered: 10 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Should work well.

Posts: 19308 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lee Baumgart
posted Hide Post
John,

This is the first knife I've put stabilized maple on. If you have an interest in a bird and trout knife with it, I could certainty make one up.

Lee

One of Us
Picture of Lee Baumgart
posted Hide Post
Here's another Straight Hunter. Scales are Desert Ironwood. It's currently listed in the Classified section.

Thanks for looking,
Lee