THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM KNIVES AND KNIFE MAKING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Knives and Knife Making    INFO needed on Argel Toon, Ruffiin Johnson, Jerry Stone Folders

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

INFO needed on Argel Toon, Ruffiin Johnson, Jerry Stone Folders
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of john e
posted
Looking for information on Argel Toon, Ruffin Johnson and Jerry Stone knifes (all folders). Have an opportunity to purchase through a private sale and having difficulty determining rarity & market value of each.
Any guidance would be much appreciated!
johne

"How do we inspire ourselves to greatness when nothing less will do" -- Invictus

Posts: 439 | Location: south texas | Registered: 10 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are buying for investment or resale, they need to be cheap. It's very hard to guess market values based on info provided. As a rule of thumb, unless there are significant reasons to upvalue them, I'd suggest a value of $300 each is fair. Condition is very important, if they have some rust or discoloration, have obviously been carried and used, it seriously detracts from valuation from a collector's POV. That would include sharpening which has left obvious scratch marks on blade.

Typically people try to sell dead maker's knives for more than the market value. With some exceptions being dead slows down most collector interest and thus makes for lower knife prices. Often values of quality maker's knives will jump on news on his death but this is usually temporary and can be a good time to sell if you're into it for the money.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of john e
posted Hide Post
Solid logic and very helpful. Thanks!
johne

"How do we inspire ourselves to greatness when nothing less will do" -- Invictus

Posts: 439 | Location: south texas | Registered: 10 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+ 1 On Gato 's info/advice .
I'm a knife guy/nut and even been to Johnson's shop. Very special knives to this knife nut. I do not even know the other names mentioned . I believe there are only a few knife makers that the average shitiot knows or has heard of and those are the ones that increase in value ( i.e. Randall ) . Knives just do not hold the interest of young people as they used to , Sadly .

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote