Notify
Tools

Not a knife guy-Recommendations
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
I'm really, really not a knife guy.

I have three "hunting" knives, a Buck Woodsman I bought in 1970, a Buck Skinner I bought in 1980 and a Schrade Sharpfinger that I won in the 1980s. I actually used the Schrade for all my hunting as it sharpens easily and stays sharp enough to do anything.

I'd like to find a nice 4" drop point damascus or stainless damascus blade, stabilized wood or Mammoth ivory scales and I am looking for recommended brand/makers.

I don't need a $500 knife as I wouldn't appreciate the difference as it's only going to do a couple of animals a year and will mostly sit in my North American hunting, storage box.

I do have some Kershaw and Benchmade pocket knives that I use for working on the property and their quality is fine with me.

So are their any brands or knife makers that you guys recommend?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What's your price point?

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good inexpensive knifes are out there The following brands have good steel in them.

Remington, Browning, Kershaw, Buck, Gerber, Cold steel and many others.

I brought a couple of 7 dollar Winchester brand at Wal-Mart for rough work ugly, heavy but they hold an edge really well.

They have become my favorite skinning knifes.

Go to the sportsman guide web site and search knifes hundreds of brands and styles.

Or one of the many knife suppliers out there

One can spend as little or a lot.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It won't be Damascus but I recommend Bark River. I've got several and I love them.

Posts: 43 | Location: Central Arkansas | Registered: 18 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Let's say around $100 - $200. I just want a knife that works and looks good, that's why I was thinking damascus. The stainless damascus was just an idea because since it would be stored more than used and I wouldn't have to worry about it rusting.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Quality damascus will be expensive.

I recommend Bark River too. For you in good stainless steel Elmax: https://www.knivesshipfree.com...-point-hunter-elmax/

This one for example. There are many.

Jiri

Posts: 2067 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For what is worth I will give you my opinion on the matter. As stated above a Damascus blade is very expensive and difficult to make. I don’t think there are any true stainless steel Damascus blades possible, though I bow to someone who knows about steel more than I.
I can recommend two (2) knives of good quality and reasonable price. I have both these knives.

The Helle Harding knife is about the size you want a four (4) inch blade and it’s scary sharp. It’s made in Norway. It has triple laminated stainless steel.

See reviews here:
https://www.youtube.com/result...=helle+harding+knife

The other is the Blackjack 125. Made in USA out of A2 tool steel, this is not stainless. It is a knife that keeps an edge well but not as easy to sharpen due to the hardness of the steel. It’s a much tougher knife than the Helle knife and with a longer blade of five (5) inches. It comes in different types handles.

See review here:
https://www.youtube.com/result..._query=blackjack+125

Good luck in your search. Hope you find something you like, though the knives you have are very good tools.

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Helle has a lot of great options and it's in your price range.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys

quote:
Originally posted by Jiri:
Quality damascus will be expensive.

I recommend Bark River too. For you in good stainless steel
Jiri

I looked at that exact same knife last night.

quote:
Originally posted by JORGE01:
For what is worth I will give you my opinion on the matter. As stated above a Damascus blade is very expensive and difficult to make. I don’t think there are any true stainless steel Damascus blades possible, though I bow to someone who knows about steel more than I.
I can recommend two (2) knives of good quality and reasonable price. I have both these knives.

The Helle Harding knife is about the size you want a four (4) inch blade and it’s scary sharp. It’s made in Norway. It has triple laminated stainless steel.

Good luck in your search. Hope you find something you like, though the knives you have are very good tools.

I looked at the Helles and liked the Survivorman Temagami

Frank

one of us
posted Hide Post
Everyone has a mistake now and then, but I've got a Bark River somewhere that I think is worthless. Won't hold an edge worth a damn. I would not recommend Bark Rivers for that reason, however, as above, many people seem to like them.

If you've got time, I would suggest you "thumb" thru Arizona Custom knives used knives and see if any of them catch your fancy. Often available at very reasonable prices.

I would also suggest you look at Spyderco's line of folders (their fixed blades tend to be above your price point). They make a helluva knife and, if you choose a good steel, you will have a lifetime companion which can be carried daily in your pocket. The "Native" in S30V is hard to beat.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks,

I have Spyderco, Benchmade and a few other good pocket knives since I use them a lot, it's a good hunting knife that I'm lacking. I've cleaned as many animals with pocket folders as I have with fixed blade hunters though.

Well, no hurry I'll just keep looking around.

Frank

one of us
posted Hide Post
Who actually makes those Remington and Winchester knives ? Seen em around but am suspicious of the quality.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I have 3 Doziers and 1 Bark River, and a few others.

I'd own another Bark in a heart beat.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Give David Winston a call and talk to him about making you a good knife. Excellent work at a fair price. You will thank me later. ph# 662 418-4932.

Posts: 296 | Location: Clyde Park, MT | Registered: 29 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
I would give the same recommendation about Lee Baumgart. Quality work at a reasonable price.

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Lee here on AR. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a bag full of knives I have collected for the past 40+ years. Some
fancy & expensive. Some not so much.
Today, I would buy a Baumgart. Nice, well made, working knife. (I have (3)).

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both Baumgart and Winston knives, plus a shitload from other makers. I will second what other writers have said: These two make wonderful knives at a very reasonable price. Guaranteed, you won’t be dissatisfied with either. Nice guys too

Posts: 10702 | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you looking for art work, then their are many fine knife makers out there, with all manor of black magic steel that will slice thru two elk and a dozen deer, BS deer and elk hair and bone dull the best of steel and in a hurry....

My favorite across the counter knife is the PUMA, its not so hard it can't be sharpened pretty quick in the field, Same for Buck, Case, and others..

A knife is just a tool to me...I make some custom knives and have a few custom knives but I don't use them..Actually I like the old Green River knives and the knives that butchers use, they are cheap and easy to sharpen.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Benchmade Hidden Canyon

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just in case you are interested I came across this knife:

https://www.knivesshipfree.com...ountain-hunter-g-10/

It’s on a special discount. Whether it’s worth it or not I don’t know but it seems to come close to what you are seeking. It can’t be returned. So buyer be were. I don’t have anything to do with the seller.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I stumbled across an Amazon deal for a Bark River drop point for $49 (Regularly $150 - $200) and ordered one. Amazon says that they are out of stock but will notify me when it ships.

I think that it's a typo but I'll wait to see if they honor it.

Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should really treat yourself to a good custom knife sometime in your life. I guided elk hunters for many years using regular production knives like Gerber, Browning, Puma, and lots of others. I got along fine not knowing about really good knives. Two years ago I started using a couple custom knives and can't believe the difference, particularly how sharp they are and good they cut. Also how long they stay sharp. I wish I would have had these knives when I was doing it for a living.

Posts: 296 | Location: Clyde Park, MT | Registered: 29 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What Ray said. I like custom knives. They are pretty. I like having one on my belt. They look good in photos. Then I use my Havalon for general gutting. And the old Green River knives can't be beat for run of the mill butchering.

Posts: 9954 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lavaca, couldn’t agree with you more. The fact is, commercially made knives will do pretty much everything you would want a knife to do.

But it’s pride of ownership. These custom makers are making these knives at a very high level. It’s pretty cool to be wearing a knife that represents the pinnacle of knives. You are sitting on a high rock pinnacle glassing, the sun is warm and you sit back, pull your knife and admire the perfect lines. I find that way cool. I probably don’t have much poetry in my soul and this is as close as I can get. You can’t do that with a Buck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
CAt,
I can't and won't argue that post..I do exactly the same with my rifle, knowing full well my old mod. 70 that's been so many miles in a saddle scabbard that it looks like a combination of stainless steel in color (no blue left) and the stock is custom drift wood, and I know it will do anything that one of my custom rifles will do and usually do it better, but such is life..

I don't have that same warm and cozy feeling about a knife so hard that it takes me 2 hours to sharpen it in the field once its dull, and it will become dull in camp for sure as the elk and deer come in....I do however have a number of such high dollar knives on display and in draws in my house.. Big Grin

So there ya go.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I used a pocket knife this weekend working calves.

Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I get it Ray. Sounds crazy as a loon, but a few rifles have souls. I’ve had many rifles, by some very fine makers, but an old pre-64, featherweight of mine is special. My first big-game gun it just has that “gunny” feel and feeds cartridges so smoothly that you can barely hear them slide into the chamber. The other thing is that even with that clubby stock and fat grip, they balance beautifully—at least to my hands.

I know what you are talking about.

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
Everyone has a mistake now and then, but I've got a Bark River somewhere that I think is worthless. Won't hold an edge worth a damn. I would not recommend Bark Rivers for that reason, however, as above, many people seem to like them.

If you've got time, I would suggest you "thumb" thru Arizona Custom knives used knives and see if any of them catch your fancy. Often available at very reasonable prices.

I would also suggest you look at Spyderco's line of folders (their fixed blades tend to be above your price point). They make a helluva knife and, if you choose a good steel, you will have a lifetime companion which can be carried daily in your pocket. The "Native" in S30V is hard to beat.

Bark River from what steel? That is the point . . .

Posts: 2067 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote