New
Find
Notify
Tools

kitchen knife blades?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone offer good quality kitchen knife blades. My daughter is expressing interest in making her own handles to fit her hand for her use.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is one of several sources. I haven't used these but this guy has been in business a long time.

http://www.texasknife.com/vcom...hp?cPath=119_299_315

and another....

http://www.knifemaking.com/category-s/21.htm

Alternatively you/she could go to some "estate" sales and possibly pick up a decent kitchen knife like she wants reasonably priced and then take the handles off and go from there.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
FWIW kitchen knives are more science than art. It's all about technique ie the blade design- thickness, shape and material. The handle is more for balance than anything else.

Boils down to are you a slicer or a rocker.

Handle is irrelevant if you are a serious cook. For most prepping you pinch the knife between the first 2 fingers on the spine, not the handle (carvers are the exception but also the least used knives). I have both western and Japanese handles and don't notice any difference.

Then you have the rocker vs slicer technique and with rockers: the amount of curve, which translates into heel height/table height, efficiency of movement etc. The more curve, the greater the height (Germans are known for that. The French have a more Japanese (less curve) and are more slicers. And we haven't even begun the carbon white, blue and No1, No2, stainless, powdered, semi-stainless debate.

I've gone from European to Japanese stainless and semi-stainless for prep work and haven't looked back. I prefer the lasers and stainless (I still catch myself rocking every now and then). Only drawback is you must use stones on them, you cannot use steel. I still have my heavy germans for rough/hacking work (and lending them to "helpers").

Best thing for her would be to go to an estate sale, etc get some cheap knives, play with them and then have them professionally ground to your arc. Good luck, sounds like fun.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
She/we, have already done re-grinding/handling some estate knives. That's what got her interested in this. Smiler

One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theback40:
She/we, have already done re-grinding/handling some estate knives. That's what got her interested in this. Smiler

Cool!!!!

Really interesting stuff out there. Glad you're having fun!

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FMC
what started it was a couple old carbon steel blades that I showed her were easy to sharpen and got very sharp. Handles were some African blackwood, with a little of the white sapwood in them, pinned and ground to her hand as she holds them. Then she jeweled the blade ala rem 700 bolts.
It looked very nice, and has set in motion more father/daughter time in the shop!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The AUS8 Cryo quenched chefs blades from texasknife are very good, I have been using them for a number of years.
recommend the 8" Chefs Knife,
the 5" Santuko ( very popular & excellent balance in the hand )
The clip point paring blade is very good, I personally prefer it to the more conventional paring blade shape ( also carried at texasknife)
The bread knife blade is pretty good too
Cryo quenched AUS8 is a fine grained , quite hard blade that holds an edge well.
As stated above , they perform best touching the edge up occasionally with a ceramic stick rather than a steel ( the medium Lansky crockstick that Texasknife carries is good value ).
Jim Lemke heads up Texasknife............ & gives excellent service

Posts: 493 | Registered: 01 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dennis for the hands on info, that steers me in the right direction.