New
Find
Notify
Tools

Forged 5160, Stag and Red Coral
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Oh great, I want to show off my recent work and find the Bergh masterpiece posted below. pissers

Anyway, this was forged from a Mustang rear spring. I tried to echo classic mid-century American designs in the handle
·5160 blade
·416 stainless guard
·Nickel silver and black fiber spacers
·Red coral and sambar stag handle
·7075 aluminium butt
·Lizard skin inlay on the sheath

Thanks for looking

Posts: 238 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice. tu2

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Beautiful knife and sheath. Congratulations.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Very nice work Yeti. I really like how the sheath holds the knife very secure. you do the leather work too?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8342 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice job!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!
Doug, I do the leatherwork too. A standard design hold down strap would have messed up the inlay.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Really nice work on the handle and the knife but, I might as well be honest, your handle work does not really match the handmade rough forged appearance of the blade. I think you'd have had a better looking and matching end product if you had finished the blade and ricasso to something on the order of Marble standards. That blade would be more at home with some kind of slab or similar handle, more like the mid 19th century, not the mid 20th. I'm not knocking this knife, just being honest on the combination. You obviously have the talent to make a very nice knife and I congratulate you.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gat,
You're absolutely right - there's a timeline mismatch in the knife...not to mention the pimped out lizard inlay sheath. Eeker It's more of jazz solo than piano recital. But your comment is well deserved, and I appreciate the real deal - I know not all improv works for everyone, and some of it doesn't work a-tall. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
Really nice work on the handle and the knife but, I might as well be honest, your handle work does not really match the handmade rough forged appearance of the blade. I think you'd have had a better looking and matching end product if you had finished the blade and ricasso to something on the order of Marble standards. That blade would be more at home with some kind of slab or similar handle, more like the mid 19th century, not the mid 20th. I'm not knocking this knife, just being honest on the combination. You obviously have the talent to make a very nice knife and I congratulate you.

IIRC, back in my artsy days in undergraduate school, hearing of Japanese artisans purposefully disfiguring, to a small degree, with a fingernail or finger, an otherwise perfectly thrown pot to maintain an earthy connection.

Very pleasant knife to view. I was not disturbed by the roughness of part of the blade. To me, it showed the hand of man in the process, a rather nice juxtaposition with the handle and, I will agree, pimped sheath. Keep up the good work. Oh, any particular reason for using a Mustang spring, than it was there?

Thanks,

Stephen

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote