New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fisk Large Bowie
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is an 11 inch blade bowie. Fossil Walrus handle, stainless mountings that I scratched on as well as where I engraved the ivory just a bit. The Damascus pattern is a laddered "W" pattern. Hope yall like it and don't mind me throwing out some old photos. This is one from 2013. I have a couple of ones that I just recent finished that is being shot now.
The fossil walrus ivory on this one is 10,004 years old. Because when I bought it the guy said it was 10,000 years old and I had it 4 more years.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful blade. tu2

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Fisk:
Hope yall like it and don't mind me throwing out some old photos.

Fooled me, I thought that picture was from yesterday.

Show's what I know. LOL.

Very much enjoy the pix.

Did you make that at someone' request.

If so, will it be used or considered an object d'art?

Best,

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GWB, I will be posting up once a week if no one cares. I have a bunch of older pieces and am working on two large bowies and two hunters right now.
This one I am not sure of its destiny. This client has been known to use them. He wanted to make sure it was usable. When he picked it up we chopped a few wood 2x4's with it then dropped a piece of paper and cut it in half before it hit the ground. This client just said make him something within a stated dollar range that was a bowie knife.

That's the good thing about a bowie such as this, if the hunting is no good then you can just sit and admire your pretty knife and gun.

My clients approach it many ways. Some get involved and want this, this, and this on a piece or just say, Damascus and some type of ivory, some give do not exceed a certain dollar figure and I have several that just says no limit, while I have about 4 that just sends a signed blank check when I start. And, some, I give sticker shock to. That's ok too, I understand that. If mine it not in line with what they are wanting I am more than happy to send them to another maker. I keep up with bladesmiths that gives good value, I try to keep up with up and coming makers that I think are going to be really good one of these days.

I have been collecting knives myself since about 1985 because I like knives.

I am supposed to have a table at the DSC next year.

www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JF,
I can relate to what you said about this particular knife, your clients, "liking knives, and find myself continually investing in custom knives from different makers.

I for one very much enjoy seeing pictures of your knives. Hopefully you'll not tire of the meager response to your posts in that regards and will continue to post pix.

Best,

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am good with it. My knives are not for everyone, I understand that. It's like a gun, you can go down to the pawn store and get the cheapest thing that will shoot, that will kill a lot of game, but where is the pride of ownership and the fun with that?
When I first started out I sold my knives for $8.00 each. It has been a struggle but a fun learning time for me. Each little piece of work you see on my knives sometimes took years to get it right.
I like knives and just want to share. Not really looking for work as my backlog runs out several years anyway, just wanting to share it talk about them.
We can talk about cutting too, as to why and how cuts are made. I will see if I can come up with some in action cutting shots.

www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I enjoy your pics , beautiful workmanship !

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1292 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lee Baumgart
posted Hide Post
Jerry,

By all means keep posting. Your knives are works of art. Thanks for sharing.

Lee

Posts: 570 | Location: Vancouver, WA | Registered: 28 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
beautiful damascus looking forward to meeting you at Little Rock this weekend. Elton

Posts: 239 | Location: branson mo | Registered: 28 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Elton, it will be good to meet you. Lost Oakie and I will both be there Friday night for the coon and possum treats and judging.
If you can make it Friday night to that and you need me to pick up your ticket let me know. As normal Mike will have some good work with him at the show as well.

www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
will be there friday afternoon. Looking forward to putting faces to names

Posts: 239 | Location: branson mo | Registered: 28 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Fisk:
My knives are not for everyone, I understand that. It's like a gun, you can go down to the pawn store and get the cheapest thing that will shoot, that will kill a lot of game, but where is the pride of ownership and the fun with that?

10/4

I tell folks that at the time I was born, my folks were so poor that they could not afford a name, just initials.

My dad did well later on in life. However, he was not a hunter. He live to be 86 and only owned one shotgun his whole life. No pistols or rifles. I have that shotgun. A Browning Sweet 16 that I went with him to pick up in Baytown Texas, circa 1958. I would have been 7 at the time.

Growing up, I got hand-me-down copies of the gun rags of the day. As a youngster I swore to myself that I’d own some guns.

My first rifle when starting my collection was a heavy barreled Savage 112 FV in 22-250. IIRC I paid $175 for it used. The scope was a cheap Simmons 3-9 variable. IIRC I paid +/- $25 for it.
I have been trading up ever since.

You might say I’ve gone off the deep end.

Rifles purchased “right” are one of the few addictions that can pay for themselves.

I’ve recently started collecting custom knives. I’ve not yet figured out how to make them pay for themselves, but what the hey, if Schitt really hits the fan, they definitely can be traded for a drink or a smoke.

I believe it was Dale Howe who made reference to a statement supposedly attributed to Tony Bose that goes something like this.......

“which would you rather own. A blade made by some kid chained to a machine in China, or one made by an American craftsman who took care and pride in crafting your knife.”

I for one choose to invest in the latter. Perhaps egocentric of me, but I like to think that just perhaps, I’m contributing to and investing in this man's future, and just maybe, he may have me in mind when crafting my knife.

Best,

GWB