New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alabama Damascus
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Are these folks quality providers of Damascus steel?
I have seen some damascus blades for 19.95 and less on Ebay and wonder if its Pakistan or China that produces that,I wouldn't touch it.
These folks are american and made here in the states in Alabama.Any good news?

Posts: 91 | Location: Helena,Montana | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've seen some knives they made, looked decent for the money, but I can't comment on how good the steel is. In general, my experience with Damascus has been that it looks a helluva lot better than it cuts AND maintains an edge.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been using Alabama Damascus for a couple of years now and I highly recommend it. Brad Vice forges the billets and he is very good to work with. He also supplies Damascus for some factory production knives.

His typical Damascus is 416 layers composed of (4) layers 5160 spring steel, (3) layers 203E low carbon high impact High nickel mild steel alloy, (3) layers 52100 ball bearing steel, and (3) layers 15N20 band saw blade material. These 13 layers of 4 types of steel are forge welded and then folded 5 times to achieve 416 layers. The nickel content gives it a beautiful bright pattern.

Posts: 31 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 03 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.I am very new to knife making,I don't sell the knives I make yet but will someday.
I have to get better and don't want to use Pakistani or Chinese steel as they just arn't up to standards.
I may be asking alot of questions at first,blade quality is the first step.Thanks again

Posts: 91 | Location: Helena,Montana | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Drop-shot:

Go to www.bladeforums.com and you'll find more information and help as well as many other knifemakers. Use the search feature most of the time, you will rarely think of or ask a question which has not been answered already.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
I've seen some knives they made, looked decent for the money, but I can't comment on how good the steel is. In general, my experience with Damascus has been that it looks a helluva lot better than it cuts AND maintains an edge.

Modern cutlery steel generally does perform better than Damascus which is why Damascus originally fell out of favor. Damascus usually is a mixture of harder and softer steels. Today it is popular for it's look more than it's performance.

Alabama Damascus performs well. It takes and holds a good edge but there are a number of non-Damascus cutlery steels that will permorm better and hold an edge longer.

Posts: 31 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 03 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
could you give us neophytes some examples of these steels?im overwhelmed by the myriad of numbers of steels and how they pertain PRACTICALLY to knife applications.Thanks.

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Carter:
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:

Modern cutlery steel generally does perform better than Damascus which is why Damascus originally fell out of favor. Damascus usually is a mixture of harder and softer steels. Today it is popular for it's look more than it's performance.

Alabama Damascus performs well. It takes and holds a good edge but there are a number of non-Damascus cutlery steels that will permorm better and hold an edge longer.

Yep! True that.

I'd throw out S 30 V, ATS-34, 440 V as examples of modern homogenous steels that are superior performers IME.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks.that puts some sanity to the mix.

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The A.G. Russell website has an excellent section on knife steels. www.agrussell.com

Steve

Posts: 49 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote