New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blade Show; Atlanta
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For all you knife guys; the Blade Show fires up in Atlanta GA fri.morning, lasts till Sunday.
The very best of the best knifemakers show up. Custom knifemakers with all kinds of knives.
Come by and say hi, table 5s; if you get the chance.
M

Posts: 79 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 28 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GA DEER HUNTER
posted Hide Post
I'll be there on Friday. Been waiting all year.

Posts: 392 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Next year! I SHALL be there. Couldn't make it this year. Roll Eyes

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8342 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I went Friday afternoon. Picked up a few very small lockbacks from AG Russell and a set of elephant ivory grips for a 1911.

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know what you paid for the 1911 ivory grips, but just for general information purposes, you can pick up fine quality elephant ivory grips from Boone Trading Co. for $195 to $300. The $195 ones are the ones preferred by scrimshanders because they have less variation in hardness and background figure to interfere with the scrim process. They are very nice grips. Highly recommended. The owner knows what he's talking about.

If you want to see some of the end product go toRon Leubke's siteand click on scrimshaw gallery if partial nudity doesn't offend you. All the 1911 grips pictured are mine and all the original ivory grips came from Boone's.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
I don't know what you paid for the 1911 ivory grips, but just for general information purposes, you can pick up fine quality elephant ivory grips from Boone Trading Co. for $195 to $300. The $195 ones are the ones preferred by scrimshanders because they have less variation in hardness and background figure to interfere with the scrim process. They are very nice grips. Highly recommended. The owner knows what he's talking about.

If you want to see some of the end product go toRon Leubke's siteand click on scrimshaw gallery if partial nudity doesn't offend you. All the 1911 grips pictured are mine and all the original ivory grips came from Boone's.

I'll not post the pic just the link but I assume these are yours. All I can say is WOW! Eeker

This looks almost like a photo, beautiful. Is this all done by hand?

http://www.rlmagic.com/scrim/scrimpics/catgIII-3.jpg

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, those are mine as are the other 3 1911 grips on that page.

They are all done by hand, but I believe he first transfers or outlines the image on the ivory somehow and then does the actual scrim. Just for an example, he had well over 60 hours work in the set you linked. He is quite talented, especially with feminine forms, and is becoming well known with related longer waiting times, but nothing like custom gun makers, we're talking a few weeks or a couple of months last time I checked.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
That's some of the most amazing artisanship I have ever seen. Stunning.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really like scrim and have a few pieces, but I also have more expensive tastes and I can't afford them all.

If this works, here is one side of a small knife I just bought (not in my possession yet) scrimmed by a Japanese artist, Yokihiro Nasu. I wasn't familiar with him, but he obviously does good work. This is on ivory micarta, not as classic as real ivory, but then again, it won't crack or split.

Since that worked, here is the other side:

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post

It's an optical illusion, I just noticed that if you stare long enough a Texas flag appears! Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cane Rat:

It's an optical illusion, I just noticed that if you stare long enough a Texas flag appears! Big Grin

Like everything, it just depends on what you're looking for....... Wink

xxxxxxxxxx