THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM KNIVES AND KNIFE MAKING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Knives and Knife Making    bark river gleneagle axe or a.g.russell camp axe?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

bark river gleneagle axe or a.g.russell camp axe?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted

Posts: 27590 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't used those but my preference would be a kukri.It would do the same work as that axe if the heavier weight ones were used .My military type 24 oz kukri would do it .I also have an agrussell kukri which is 18 oz for lighter use. Those axes are made of good steels , one in stainless 440 B ,the other is A-2 ,nonstainless but excellent tool steel.Both steels appropriate for the axe.

One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have a Bark River knife that really like. As for an ax this is the way to go. http://www.gransfors.com/htm_eng/index.html

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
o.k. ive decided to make my own, i have already made a prototype and i am jazzed Big Grin jump

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27590 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want an axe or hatchet you can buy what is argueably the best in the world, Gransfors Bruks for under $100. Check out their wildlife hatchet and hunters Axe. Both come shaving sharp and I believe will prove superior in function than the two you are considering........DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
went to go handle them in person at nordic knives in solvang, they are great! thanks, now i have to have one. and i have a prototype of my own that i have to get made too thumb

one of us
posted Hide Post
Boom Stick, which one did you decide on?.....DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
i like the swedish carving axe

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the Gransfors Bruks hunters axe. Shaving sharp and very pretty.

Another hatchet I have is a Fiskars brand plastic handled I purchased at WalMart for about $15. Now hold your horses, this is one of the sharpest damn blades I've ever seen. An inexpensive axe, but the head with a slight touch up from the factory edge (very slight) is hair flinging sharp, and it holds it's edge! I am extremely impressed with this hatchet.

I purchased it's big brother, longer handle and maybe 1.5 lb head, same plastic handle. Just as sharp as the smaller one. I've split a whole pile knotty pine (blue spruce) logs with it and it comes out as sharp as when I started. Even after being put into the ground a few times.

They're not as pretty as the more expensive ases, but for the money I think these are the best damn deals out there!

I have a mind like a steel trap... rusty and illegial in 37 states.

Posts: 163 | Location: Upstate, NY | Registered: 26 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I must be dense....what possible real use does a hatchet have?? You use an ax to split wood, a knife to cut stuff and a saw to cut wood. Only thing I could see fora hatchet is splitting a pelvic bone and the ax works there too.

Ohhhh I'm so confused....must find beer

the chef

One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calgarychef1:
I must be dense....what possible real use does a hatchet have?? You use an ax to split wood, a knife to cut stuff and a saw to cut wood. Only thing I could see fora hatchet is splitting a pelvic bone and the ax works there too.

Ohhhh I'm so confused....must find beer

the chef

I managed to split my pelvis with a ladder...or was it without one, since I fell off it? Wink
Dave

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote