New
Find
Notify
Tools

Joe Kious is gone......
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've been meaning to post this for a while but haven't gotten around to it until now. There's never a good time but we all have a time.

Joe Kious (1945-2014) died Dec. 5. 2014 as a result of an auto accident. He was a great knife maker from the Kerrville area. He will be missed.

Here is an example of one of his knives on the lower end of the price scale at just under $3000.

Kious engraved by Jon Robyn

Rest in peace.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn. I had casually known Joe for many years, and spoke to him briefly at many NYC knife shows over the years. My most beloved knife that I have carried on hunts for 25 years, is a fixed blade drop point with sheep scales that he made. He long since stopped making such basic stuff and went on to fine folders. I once asked him to make me a companion peace for one of my sons, but we never got around to ordering it. Well, now it will never happen. He was always a nice man and gave me time to talk. He may have been the first person that I had ever personally met that hunted Africa, and just seeing his pictures sparked my dreams more than anything that I can remember. I have now been 4 times in 20 years.

I have never before looked into this area of the web site, so that it is just remarkable that I have even fallen over this announcement. I am really saddened by the word of his death, and sad that I will not be able to arrange for that special piece that I never got around to.

That knife remains my favorite despite owning at least 30 customs.

Dang it all. Getting old is a bi--h

Steve

Posts: 29 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 30 November 2009Reply With Quote