Find
Notify
Tools

My knives are dull
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Vemo
posted
I suck at sharpening knives, Is the Lansky system a good way to go?

JOIN SCI!

Posts: 318 | Location: 40N,105W | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I like mine.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Had you a Kershaw, sending it back to the factory would result in a sharpened knife being returned very fast. I am so impressed with their service I will not look elsewhere for a knife. thumb

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vemo
posted Hide Post
Thanks bill,
I'll buy one tomorrow.

JOIN SCI!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not saying there are not better units out there (for instance the Lansky can produce a very nice edge but it takes a significantly longer amount of time to change out the stones, etc) but I'd get a Spyderco Sharpmaker. They are superb and a good using but sub razor sharp edge can be put on a knife IN SECONDS, once you've got the bevel down to fit their angles. AND if you buy the extra costs extremely fine stones they can make one EXTREMELY SHARP as well. You can easily put a shaving edge on a knife with the two sets that come with it, but for my EDC I just use the coarser stones and that combined with S30V will easily skin and quarter a deer with no problems.

With careful net shopping you can buy a Sharpmaker for about $50 and that's a bargain, especially if, as many people seem to be, you are stone impaired.

I'm not knocking Kershaw, but I can't see stopping my knife using while I send one back to the factory to get sharpened, geesh, knife sharpening ain't rocket science.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just ordered one of these based upon many many favorable reviews:
http://www.edgeproinc.com/
People swear by it and I am a real klutz when it comes to making my blades sharper. I have used a Lansky for years but it always seemed so cheap to me.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6591 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe:

Like you, based on positive reviews, I bought one of those several years back. I also purchased a Sharpmaker at the same time. The Sharpmaker was so fast (again, once you get the edges to the correct symmetry) and so simple I have literally NOT opened the Apex kit, not once. This is in no way a negative reflection on the Apex, it may be wonderful, I just haven't used it.

I want to point out that I'm a rancher and we have a LONG whitetail hunting season on my ranch (5 months with a gun) plus we kill quite a few wild hogs. I use my folding knife everyday, often for skinning game or cutting hay string, etc. FOR ME, I have found that extremely sharp edges are somewhat counterproductive, yes, they cut like crazy when first used, but by the vary fact that they're so sharp (edge is thinner) they tend to dull faster and become less useful faster than slightly duller initially knives AND it takes longer to get them back to their extremely sharp edge. This is my opinion and that's what it is, just an opinion, but that's why I USUALLY just use a Sharpmaker on my Spyderco S30V folder and then only the coarser stones. I can go from reasonably dull to reasonably sharp (shaving or just slightly less than) in less than a minute.

OTOH, if you're sitting around in those long Alaskan winters, then you might have plenty of time to make all your knives like scapels. Wink

Give us a review of the Apex, I might just break mine out.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I use the Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpmaker most of the time, with an old diamond rod for field touch ups.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gatogordo,
Will do. I am vacationing now and will return home in another week and it should be at my house by then.
Trust me, if it works for me it will be a miracle as I am the worlds worst at sharperening anything.
Since others speak so highly on the Spyderco it could still make use as a nice small unit for fly in hunts though or for the boats.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6591 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had enormous success with the Lansky, don't hesitate buying one.

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vemo
posted Hide Post
Just ordered the Sharpmaker system, got it for 56 bucks with shipping from Knifeworks. Comes with a instructional CD, too. I have an ammo can full of dull knives! Looking forward to putting an edge on them.
Has anyone heard of Olsen Knives?

JOIN SCI!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Vemo:

Don't expect instant results, except on very thin blades, such as kitchen knives. You'll have to work the edge down until the angles match the sharpmaker's. If you're at all handy with stones you can hasten this process a bit by using a stone to remove a bit of steel as you go. It just depends on the grind angles on what you've got.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
You might invest in the diamond rods for the sharpmaker to get a profile on your really dull knifes. They are not cheap but really do the job.

Posts: 142 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 09 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i really like the Spyderco Sharpmaker

Thanks very much,
Robert (13.45)
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 83 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 21 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vemo
posted Hide Post
My sharpmaker finally arrived. I worked for 30 minutes on my cold steel prolite and I am getting a pretty good edge. Not razor sharp yet but before I started it wouldn't even scrape a fingernail.
It's fast, easy and was a pretty good value.
What to do with all my stones now??

JOIN SCI!