New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to use?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have scratched up my blade with a broken cermaic sharpner and would like to use something to polish them out. So what to use?

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
A Scotch-brite pad might work.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah it might just do the job. Thanks George.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
0000 grade steel wool used with jewellers rouge.

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pichon1:
0000 grade steel wool used with jewellers rouge.

Jewellers rouge? never heard of it, where do you aquire it.

thanks
lm

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry,
it is a fine paste that jewellers use for polishing their wares. It's probably known by some other name in your part of the world, but if you contact someone in the game you will find it is not hard to get.

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many thanks, Mate, I'm sure I'll find it no worries. Wink Serriously the info is very much appreciated.

one of us
Picture of foxfire
posted Hide Post
Larry,
You use Jewelers Rouge on a grinding machine with a cloth wheel. You use the rouge to dress the cloth wheel like compound on a car.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Posts: 359 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks foxfire for the info. and providing a source where I can aquire it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Larry,

Restoring the finish will depend on what the original finish was.

If it is a full polish done by machine (likely if hollow ground), then any motion across the grind and polish will most likely expose grind lines you haven't seen yet. In lieu of a complete resand, any refinishing should be done in the same direction used in the original finish ... most likely across the blade top to bottom.

If a good custom knife, it is likely to be smooth in all directions and can be sanded out and repolished much more easily. Knives done this way are relatively unusual these days.

Fine matte finishes are usually created with sandpaper backed by a soft material like a large eraser. The matte can be restored by progressively sanding from what it takes to get out the marks to between 1200 and 2500 grit.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suggest you continue using it. If it's a presentation/collectible knife just chalk it up to experience and don't do that again! It's a knife for pete's sake a tool meant to be used, not kept in pristine condition and admired.

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will certainly continue to use it and admire it, in the same manner I use and admire my firearms. I have buffed out the scratches with the 0000 steel wool.