New
Find
Notify
Tools

Knife for chaps
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Have a pair of leather riding chaps and looking for a knife to go with it any Suggestions ? Not to sound stupid but how do you keep the knife from piercing the chaps ? Would you use a sheath. I got the chaps from Will and it has a place on the side for a small knife.

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't you use a folding knife?

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
neck knife

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Why don't you simply ask Will? Big Grin He's used them and has sold a number of them. He should know what kind of knife would work best with them. And, please report back to us on what he says. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I asked Will he suggested folding knife . Now just need to to figure out which folding knife.

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
You could do a scout carry. A horizontal sheath attached to the belt on your back.

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
You could do a scout carry. A horizontal sheath attached to the belt on your back.

That could hurt if you were bucked off. Big Grin

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1577 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Yes, ask the cops who have taken a bad fall with a small-of-the-back handgun carry.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16305 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I see a lot of people selling side or cross cary sheaths for cowboys.

http://www.cowboyway.com/KnifeSheath01.htm

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chaps - Shotgun or batwings?

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd get a Barlow and call it good.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2757 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any good quality lock blade folding knife, I carry one in my chap pocket. A buck or a case...not in the small of your back, that's against the cantle of the saddle, could be a problem..I carry a large PUMA 4" blade..

Will has only chinks as I recall, but shotguns, batwings, or chinks, its all the same for a knife carry..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote