New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting Back Into Knife Making??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was going through some old files today and I found some of my images from my old website.

Looking through them has got me hankering to get back into knifemaking.
When I got divorced 6 years ago I lost my shop but held onto all my equipment (It has been in storage for 6 yrs...dang time flies).

Here are some samples of my work...let me know what you all think. (This may be the deciding factor for me to get back into it...atleast part time to fund my gun addiction thumb Of course I'll need to build another shop...)

All blades are hand ground (without any jigs) from either ATS34 SS or 1095 carbon steel, and all work, including leather work, was done by myself. I also made my own hand forged damascus but can't seem to find any pics of the finished knives.

Posts: 101 | Location: South of Buffalo, NY | Registered: 13 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The talent is certainly there . thumb What's the question ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends on quality, price, and to a lesser extent waiting times. Another factor is are you willing to make anything the customer wants?
I ask this because recently a big name knife guy refused to make me a knife the exact size I wanted ( 5in handle, 4in blade).

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6591 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mete
Thanks for the compliment!

I guess I'm just looking for a little incentive...you know, someone to give me that little extra "nudge" to get back into it.

Snowwolfe,
I generally had my standard patterns (Loveless Style drop point and semi-skinner as these were by far my best sellers) but I also did custom work to customer provided specs.
My lead times were generally 4-6 wks to build a knife to spec (pics 1, 2, and 8 were custom orders).

Posts: 101 | Location: South of Buffalo, NY | Registered: 13 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might ask this question on the Makers section of www.bladeforums.com.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good delivery times, what prices and what steels?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6591 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe,

My Loveless patterns were $225-$350 depending on handle material and if I remember correctly, picture #1 fetched $225, #2 was $195, and #8 was $175.

I generally used ATS-34 stainless for the blade steel on my Loveless styles and hunters, and 1095 carbon on my larger blades and bowie style blades (1095 blades were differentially heat treated, this provides a hard cutting edge and a softer "springy" spine,...you can see the temper line in pic #2)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well heck, Put up a web site and try it. Your prices seem a little high for an "unknown" but some people perceive higher prices mean better quality.
My Lee Perkins knives on order were under $200 each.
But I am a newcomer to the world of custom knives. Talk here flows like cheap whiskey,lol.
Your knives look very nice in the photos you posted. Try it and good luck!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It looks like I will be building a shop come spring! dancing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That Loveless style semi skinner with the horn scales is absolutely gorgeous!

one of us
posted Hide Post
yd, if you do it (pun intended) let me know, I'll try a couple in the loveless-esque patterns, and a custom or two too.

Good luck--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote