Find
Notify
Tools

Boys first knife
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted
After some lessons with my knives making a bow and a fishing spear and a few other bushcraft items my oldest turned 10 today and received a Case Stockman pocket knife. After much internal deliberation I decided to go classic and folder. It is not a lock back knife and that has me nervous but he did also receive a new box of band aids and two grit sharpening stone. Made me happy to see him so happy using the kind of knife I had and played with then I was his age and younger. A happy day that I will remember.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chas257
posted Hide Post
Very nice. You should be proud.

Posts: 242 | Location: Lake Linden Mi | Registered: 18 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Passing on traditions and skills is one of those things that give you joy and hope for the future.
Taking suggestions for his first fixed blade knife. Thinking of a skinner/bushcraft type with a front guard to keep his hand from slipping forward.
Perhaps something like this sweet pattern. Maybe make one with him.

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice knife that you brought him used many like it when I was young.

Would buy them at the local ACE store for 5 bucks normally once a year.

Seems kids tend to lose them regularly.

I brought my kids small lock back Gerber folders.

Posts: 19362 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Lol. I got this one at Ace Hardware and paid exactly $50. Only thing that has changed is inflation. Started shopping for kit knives. The "Modern Skinner" looked ok but a bit too pointed than I would like.
http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/..._164&products_id=876
I have the scale material already.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think for a kids first knife I would give them a Swiss Army Knife,[or ie a Boy Scout knife].

I am over 60 years old and I still carry, 100% of the time, a Swiss Army knife.

I do carry other self defense style knives, but I always have the SWISS Army...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Love that case knife! tu2 I carry one just like that, that I found laying on the ground back in 1964 (50 years ago) as a kid. That Case knife of mine is still tight, mechanically sound and still going strong today, although the main blade is much narrower from being sharpened over the years. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I carry an Uncle Henry that is exactly like that Case. My favorite.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Giving ones son (or daughter for that matter) is a rite of passage.We all have our own rules as to preference + age delivery.My 3 sons got Case's.Many more since the years have passed.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I carried Boy Scout knives for years. Must have lost a half dozen of them. Nowadays, a Leatherman. Be prepared.
A knife makes a wonderful gift. It is a vote of confidence, and a sign of maturity, not to mention a damned useful tool. I just wish our schools were still comfortable with kids having pocket knives.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on the stock knife. I carried one from 5th grade through high school. My wife now carries it in her car. Imperial. I agree with the non-lock folder. Let the boy learn how to be safe without relying on mechanical devices. Goes for guns too.

Posts: 428 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 05 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gave a very similar knife to my Godson. He practices using it safely breasting out ducks.
I still carry one in my daypack.
Good job Dad !

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
I think for a kids first knife I would give them a Swiss Army Knife,[or ie a Boy Scout knife]..

This was my very first knife, given to me by my Dad, when I was 8 years old in the Cub Scouts. Still have it today and use it all the time.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I have carried a Buck folding hunter since the early 70's in college.Carried it in a back pocket + the game was can you pull it out ,open the blade + stick a flipped quarter in the air.One handed open mind you.I got to where I coudt it 8 out of 10 every time.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote