Find
Notify
Tools

Stone knives
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted
I got re-connected with a buddy of mine from long ago that lives semi off the grid in Oklahoma. He has been staying busy making stone tools and weaponry and he sent me some examples of his craft that I was impressed with and thought I'd share here. He does go to gun and knife shows in his area and sells some of his stuff. His basic knives start at around $40 and go up according to size and intricacy.

He also include some photos of some of his other items

Posts: 3270 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pretty cool, but sharpening might present some challenges. Wink

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If one is looing for decorations.

Any steel knife is better.

Posts: 19304 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Most steel knives are indeed better. Just as most breech loading, cartridge rifles are better than most muzzleloaders. And the stuff that is currently in vogue will be old-fashion in a couple decades too, but doesn't mean it's bad.

And yes, they don't sharpen very easily. But they don't rust. Smiler

Posts: 3270 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blades made with obsidian [ natural glass ]are actually sharper than steel [ sharpness is defined by the minimum radius you can get with a material] Obsidian is still used in special operations like eye surgery !
I have seen a video of butchering a sheep entirely with those knives and the work was fast and accurate !
Sharpening just requires chipping [knapping ] a new edge !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am uncertain when surgeons used throwaway stainless steel scalpel blades/knives. Prior to that happening, surgeons preferred scalpel blades chipped from obsidian. I suspect some surgeons continue to use scalpels created from this hard stone. I suspect users of stone cutting tools would prefer obsidian for slicing and skinning. Regarding the stone's utility for other cutting jobs, I have no information.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1496 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Interesting! tu2

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Sharpening is easy with pressure flaking.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8342 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
That is quite an art. I don't have any modern arrowheads...but last year I was taught how to look for indians / indian camps and have quite a collection from arrowhead hunting fields/canyons for a little over a year.

Even found a Russell (brand) knife out in the middle of nowhere....along with wagon parts. You'd be amazed what you can find in the middle of nowhere. Different (and harder) times.

Justin

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
Blades made with obsidian [ natural glass ]are actually sharper than steel [ sharpness is defined by the minimum radius you can get with a material] Obsidian is still used in special operations like eye surgery !
I have seen a video of butchering a sheep entirely with those knives and the work was fast and accurate !
Sharpening just requires chipping [knapping ] a new edge !

True enough.

An obsidian edge can be brought down to one molecule thickness. Far sharper than any steel.

I've tried my hand at knapping and would like to do more but so far I'm an amateur. We have an annual knap-in where I live that's fun to do. It really makes you appreciate the arrowheads that the Indians did long ago. Really are functional works of art.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2785 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote