THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM KNIVES AND KNIFE MAKING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Knives and Knife Making    Another "high value" ($13), 1095 blade. Russell sheep skinner

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another "high value" ($13), 1095 blade. Russell sheep skinner
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
http://www.katom.com/135-06371.html

This isn't a fancy knife, but it sure does work well. It is well made, with excellent steel (1095 cro-van steel, same as the Ka-Bar marine knife) which takes a keen edge and is easy to sharpen.

Don't overlook the Russell 5 1/4" bladed sheep skinner knife. Can't beat it for $12.27. Make your own home made sheath, and you have a knife that will work in the field as well as knives costing many times more.

I just might put some micarta scales on it for a simple and fun customization project.

--------------------------------------------------------
Behavior accepted, is behavior repeated.

Posts: 624 | Location: Maine, ayuh | Registered: 06 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with that blade at all.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8342 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Mild hijack here, but has anyone tried the Cold Steel "Canadian Belt Knife"?

Another under $20 knife, looks like it might be a nice pattern to keep around as an extra skinning knife when the one your using gets dull.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7753 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a nice pattern for small game, and does well in a pinch for larger game. My DhRussell has cleaned quite a few deer. I really prefer a finger guard when I'm gutting and this design seems to slip in my hand a bit.

the chef

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I always loved the Dexter knives, but where can you get the different blades with no handles?

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the little Cold Steel Canadian Belt Knife and like it very much. Thanks...Bill.

quote:
Originally posted by Mark:

Another under $20 knife, looks like it might be a nice pattern to keep around as an extra skinning knife when the one your using gets dull.

Posts: 188 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 14 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark:

It's junk, I gave about $8 for mine. I use it in the Kitchen, but it rust like crazy.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote