New
Find
Notify
Tools

Friction Forging
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It would appear that all bets are off on all of these super steels now that friction forging has come on the scene.

I know there is another thread on here that talks about this process. But I am looking for some first hand opinions. Does anyone here own one of these new friction forged knives? If so, how does it perform for you?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Beware the hype ! I think it will fall by the wayside like other "miracle" steels .The best of the stainless steels , 154CM,ATS-34,S30V etc offer fine performance without hype.

one of us
Picture of aktoklat
posted Hide Post
It may seem like hype, but it is not! Doubters need to read the unbiased testing performed by Wayne Goddard. There is a website for these knives and have video's on the testing and testimonials. http://diamondbladeknives.com/

Focus on the leading edge!

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Again, does anyone here OWN one of these knives?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You know, I would like to purchase one. Not that I am trolling here, but if the process works imagine what it would do to steels like CPM154, S30V, heck, even S90V. Noticed AKS had what are probably some decent prices on S90V like they were trying to get rid of the stuff. Not that I comparison shopped, but the prices looked cheap.

But like Mete said, the others previously listed above will still work fine after Paul Bos cooks em.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
what's wrong with good old carbon steel? Big Grin Might not hold an edge forever, but a few stokes of the stone and it's razor sharp again. You can't say the same for many of the"improved" types.
Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote