Notify
Tools

Nessmuk Story
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
THE GREAT NESSMUK STORY

George Washington Sears (December 2, 1821 – May 1, 1890) was a sportswriter for Forest and Stream magazine in the 1880s and an early conservationist. His stories, appearing under the pen name, "Nessmuk" popularized self-guided canoe camping tours of the Adirondack lakes in open, lightweight solo canoes and what is today called ultralight camping.

Canoeing had been popularized by Scottish lawyer John MacGregor in the 1860s, but the typical canoe trip of the day employed expert guides and heavy canoes. Sears, who was 5 feet 3 inches (1.60 m) tall and 103 pounds (47 kg) had a 9-foot-long (2.7 m), 10 1⁄2-pound (4.8 kg) solo canoe built by J. Henry Rushton of Canton, New York. He named it the Sairy Gamp (the name of a Dickens character) and in it he completed a 266-mile (428 km) journey through the central Adirondacks. He was 62 years old and in frail health (tuberculosis and asthma) at the time. William Henry Harrison Murray's Adventures in the Wilderness, published in 1869, had praised the Adirondacks as having a healthy atmosphere for consumptives and Verplanck Colvin's enthusiastic writing about the Adirondack wilderness had further inspired the trip. The Sairy Gamp was acquired by the Smithsonian Institution and is now on loan to the Adirondack Museum.

He grew up the eldest of ten children in South Oxford (now Webster), Massachusetts. He took his pen name from a Native American who had befriended him in early childhood. He was fascinated by the few books about Native Americans his family possessed, which left him with an abiding interest in forest life and adventure. A period of factory labor while still a child left him with a fondness for the writing of Charles Dickens. At age twelve he started working in a commercial fishing fleet based on Cape Cod and at nineteen he signed on for a three-year voyage on a whaler headed for the South Pacific; it was the same year (1841) that Herman Melville shipped out of the same port bound for the same whaling grounds. On his return, his family moved to Wellsboro, Pennsylvania where he was to live for the rest of his life. However, he continued traveling for adventure, from the upper Midwest and Ontario to an Amazon tributary in Brazil (in 1867 and again in 1870).

Sears wrote Woodcraft, a book on camping, in 1884, that has remained in print ever since. A book of poems, Forest Runes, appeared in 1887. He died at his home in Pennsylvania seven years later. Mount Nessmuk, in northern Pennsylvania, is named after him.

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok, I didn't want to say this because it would appear that I was attacking someone else's preferences, but now that you've started a thread on it, I think the Nessmuk is among the dumbest designs of knives going. It looks like a pregnant guppy and the hump accomplishes absolutely nothing unless you need a knife to spread mayo with. Rant over, if someone likes them, suits the hell out of me, but they hurt my eyes.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check, pregnant guppy!

Oh well, I like like them. And redheads, which is part of another problem of mine.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
And redheads, which is part of another problem of mine.

Ahhh, but redheads have a much more pleasing appearance and can be so user friendly. Big Grin

Of course, if they get dull, then changing models can be a very expensive process..... Frowner

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like they would make a decent chopper/ slicer.

Which can be very useful when camping.

One would need a smaller companion knife for delicate work.

Posts: 19303 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Funny how one will type out their thoughts, edit it.

Then delete it, just because of the pi$$ing contest it might well stir up is just not worth it.
Specially when they are all just opinions, nothing more.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4220 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I find them very handy and really like that style if done right. I guess it depends on what you get used to. People still use trailing point knives to skin with. That would take me twice as long.

The pregnant belly of that guppy is to raise the point at what level you want as you glide along edge up. Or that's how I use it.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Curiosity killed the cat.

https://www.amazon.com/Condor-...8-3&keywords=nessmuk

I found them on ebay for $32 each. I bought 3.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Condor...a:g:VCAAAOSwFc5XwLQa

$95.85 out the door.

I'll post a report when I get them sorted.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hibben Elmer Keith Knife

Condor Nessmuk

I also noticed that Nessmuk's book is under $10. I figure it is worth a read for that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hadn't seen the Hibbin/Keith knife before .Elmer should have kept to the wonderful 44mag !!

For those who don't know the Adirondack Mtns - it is a HUGE area ,most don't believe it .A friend had to drive north so he just headed north . " there's NOTHING there " .Yep , nothing , no towns, gas stations, houses , .Be prepared for a very long trip and stay away in the winter !!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Latest Nessmuk

Jack O'neill maker. A2 steel @ 62 Rc. flat grind. Feathered buckeye scales with gray liners

ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote