THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM KNIVES AND KNIFE MAKING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Knives and Knife Making    Who makes custom knife sheaths for folding and fixed blade knives?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who makes custom knife sheaths for folding and fixed blade knives?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted
Recently I was looking for someone who could make a custom sheath for a George Muller folding knife with mammoth ivory scales, meteorite bolsters and a damascus blade. I finally found someone, but it was a hell of a search, and the belt sheath will take a minimum of 16 weeks (back orders first). I'm having it made out of nicotine colored elephant hide and it will have a snap cover. I have had a number of sheaths made by Paul Long, but not sure if he is still making any. One of my sheath makers, Jim Wear (Wyoming) died last April. Anyone else out there that makes custom knife sheaths of various styles and materials? Who would be recommended for future sheaths?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about Jim Wear. He made four different things for me all from my elephant, and a couple of items for friends who liked the work he did for me. We talked frequently in the past and I enjoyed hearing about some of his experiences with everything from his apprenticeship in Scotland, Harley Davidson saddle bags, Budweiser harnesses and work for the Queens stables. Wish we had gotten up there to visit as that looked possible a couple of times but schedules didn't quite permit...

Be glad to make you a custom sheath as all mine are made for specific knifes so I guess they are all 'custom'. Been a long time since I used a snap but think I could find some laying around. If you have a specific kind/color in mind it'd be better if you include that with your leather. I really like the natural patterns and use elephant for most of my sheaths. I'd need a very accurate tracing of the knife profile plus dimensions and photos. The knife itself in hand is better for shrink fitting but not essential. Right or left hand?

Pretty quick turn around because I'm certainly not busy these days - and no charge. If you like it, just make a donation to charity of your choice.

Good hunting,

Posts: 402 | Location: Houston | Registered: 09 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! That's very generous of you! I've sent you a PM with all of the information that you required. Jim was a master leather craftsman and made a ton of stuff for me over the years. It was all top notch! Let me know if you get my PM. Best, UEG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Friend from Austin called this morning to start tightening up plans for our annual south zone dove hunt. We usually stay in Castroville and hunt on ranches in the vicinity of Pearsall depending on local concentrations and patterns in the given year. When I joined this group in the early 90s it was mostly a father/son group that has now extended to grandsons, and some of the original fathers now gone.

In the conversation, he asked if this sheath possibility had ever materialized. Told him that after the thread UEG and I had coordinated via PM and it actually took longer for shipping than it had to make the sheath. It got to destination on Thursday and reportedly fit like a glove. Photos from UEG with the sheath and his fantastic knife suggested that to be the case…

Here’s a photo of the sheath prior to shipping.

https://i.imgur.com/GNCcQEZ.jpg?1

Posts: 402 | Location: Houston | Registered: 09 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Very generous Emory. Hope you and Johanna are doing well.

Mike

Posts: 21051 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, it fits like the proverbial "hand in glove". Here are a couple of pics of the knife and sheath. The knife is a George Muller(South African)flip folder made of mammoth scales, gibeon meteorite bolsters and a damascus blade and pocket clip.
Emory did the sheath perfectly, without having the knife in hand, and this in spite of it having a damascus pocket clip on the opposite side of the knife. He designed it to fit in the sheath with the pocket clip on the outside, and with the flip of the knife facing back. The knife slides into the sheath smoothly and remains tight in the sheath. That's some professional talent! Thanks again Emory! I will be donating to a charity of my choice here in Las Vegas, per Emory's request.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2

Posts: 124 | Location: Hickory, PA | Registered: 13 May 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use dale fricke, you would have to google. His are kydex fitted to your knife Leather gwts to sticky and or loose for me

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
NRFPT Leather