Notify
Tools

Eugene Shadley...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of .404
posted
Any ideas on value?

I pray for mud on my boots the day I die...
Go see the nights of Africa.....

Posts: 208 | Location: back home in the Tarheel state | Registered: 16 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A quick search of the net finds that he is better known for his folders (wrote a book on making them). He is still listed in "Knives 2010" as a maker, but I can't seem to find much current production. His phone number is listed as 218 245 1639. I see similar fixed blade hunters of his listed for $295 to $795 mint condition, retail. If you're trying to sell it, I'd price it at $600 and REALLY hope for a taker, while being prepared to lower your price until it sells. With no reflection on Mr. Shadley, I personally wouldn't think it was worth a penny over $300, and I wouldn't pay that, but my opinions are not the market.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of .404
posted Hide Post
Thank you...Opinions are always welcome here!

I pray for mud on my boots the day I die...
Go see the nights of Africa.....

Posts: 208 | Location: back home in the Tarheel state | Registered: 16 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I want to be clear, my "opinion" is not in any way deriding that knife or Mr. Shadley's knifemaking skills. It is based on what I see similar knives by better known smiths sell in the aftermarket. For instance, I just bought a sole authorship, hand engraved and inlayed with 24K gold, hand forged damscus hunter by certainly one of the top 20 makers in the US for less than 60% of what it sold for just a few months back. If you want to get anywhere near top dollar for knives in the secondary market, patience is a must. In addition, as mentioned in another thread, an ABS mastersmith hand forged hunter can be had new for less than $400. Factor all that in and that's where I get my "opinion".

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote