New
Find
Notify
Tools

Replaceable blade knives?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm considering buying one of the replaceable blade knives to use skinning wild hogs. Looking at the Outdoor Edge and the Havlon. Anybody have any experience with these? My elk guide used one last year and loves them. But I would like some more opinions.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was bear hunting in NM a couple years back, all the guides and game wardens carried HAVALON knives. Consequently when I got back home I ordered two different sizes and three different blade patterns.

Havilon Piranta

http://www.havalon.com/piranta...-knife-xt60edge.html

Havilon Barracuta

http://www.havalon.com/havalon...--fillet-knives.html

They have become part of my kit.

Basically like a folding lock-blade scalpel. However do not try to pry with them. I do not use them when separating a hind-quarter at the socket joint, it's failure theater.

They are reasonably inexpensive for both the knife base/handle and the replaceable

They will work great on hogs. We do not field dress, but bring all animals that will be skinned back to camp. We hang from hind legs on a gambrel. One has to be careful not to cut the leader/tendon. Also hogs in the hill country usually are covered with fine grit that is almost like concrete. I use the Havalon for my starting cut just below the ankle joint where the skin is thin.

If I'm concerned about keeping the cape and not piercing the hide I do not use the Havilon. I use a semi-skinner or something with an upsweep to the blade. The havilon is just too thin and sharp and if you are not very very careful you will cut/poke a hole in your cape.

The blades are easy to change, just be careful and use a pair of pliers or a table surface to install/take off.

Another consideration. You might want to keep a fingernail brush in your kit in order to clean the knife/blades.

Best,

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are the work of the devil.

They are good for slicing so treat them like a razor and they will do fine.

Just no pride in handing it down to the family.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
Picture of Lee Baumgart
posted Hide Post
"They are the work of the devil."

Jerry, your response cracked me up and I agree!

Lee

Posts: 570 | Location: Vancouver, WA | Registered: 28 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
rotflmo Sounds like Kathy Bates in "Water Boy"!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Havalon are fantastic. Especially for hogs. I have different sizes, types and blade sizes. Carry one for show and the Havalon to use.

Posts: 9982 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote