Find
Notify
Tools

Giraffe bone turns my stomach
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted
Been using a Giraffe bone to make a few knives. Have a filter on when grinding and sawing, but man-o-man, this stuff really stinks. I won't use bone ever again after this project.

Hope there isn't some funky Giraffe bone virus out there as I cut myself this evening to top it all off.

blech thumbdown

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
Hello JohnHunt
As a matter of interest, have you ever tried blesbok and gemsbok horns as knife handles? They have distinctive finger holds.

Posts: 779 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
No, but I made a nice (by my standards*) damascus knife with Sheep horn.

Talked to my taxidermist and they are not concerned. They would be if I were using a primate bone but not giraffe. Just rancid fat in the bone hitting a grinder... it just doesn't smell good.

John

*5' x 5mph

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just rancid fat in the bone

& there will be rancid fat in the finished handle too. Try putting the bone in the microwave to get rid of that fat. Better do it outside not in the kichen! Wink Or boil out.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8344 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
Hmmm... good advice. And almost exactly 12 hours after I used 2 ton epoxy and pins to attach the bone to the steel.

Oh well, it doesn't smell so bad when it is just sitting there and it adds an interesting texture to the bone.

one of us
posted Hide Post
"Cut yourself". Ouch. I'd be really worried, do you feel taller, you neck stretching? Wink

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
naw... but I did notice a couple of bony growths on the top of my head

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just wait till you start getting the spots. Eeker

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Just wait till you start getting the spots. Eeker

Given the inevitable, he might as well look on the bright side, he'll be naturally camoflaged when he is hunting in Africa. clap

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
Ya... but that would mean I have to hunt naked,

and I wouldn't want to embarass anyone Big Grin