Find
Notify
Tools

Fallkniven F1, H1 or S1
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sherpi
posted
I am getting Fallkniven knive for skinning and field dressing a Reindeer. I was planning to get a F1, but before I buy it I would like to know if the H1 or the S1 would fit the bill better. I like the blade on the H1 but it lacks the handguard.
ps. I have a gerber skinnig tool with gut hook so I dont need a knive with a gut hook.

Sauer and Zeiss, perfect match.
Sherpi

Posts: 134 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 4" blade should be all you need and I like the shape of the F-1 better than the H-1. The one I have is the S-1 which I use for an all purpose camp knife.That would be better if I were to hunt elk or moose.Fallkniven knives are very well made .The VG-10 core of the laminated blade is one of the best stainless steels.They are all designed , quality knives.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have both the F-1 and S-1 and for dressing game I prefer the F-1. I've used the F-1 on numerous deer and a couple Elk and think it's just about the best reasonalbly priced non-custom knife available for the hunter.
I do prefer to use a shorter knife for dressing game so that determines my preference for the F-1. If in general you prefer longer knives maybe you would end up liking the S-1 better but I don't think most will. Most deer camps I've been in start calling you "Commando" or something of the like if you show up with too long a knife. When I first started hunting I brought a long bowie style knife along and they asked me what I was doing with the "bayonet" and laughed at my inexperience. I've learned a little since........................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sherpi
posted Hide Post
thanks for the advice. Got my F1 this morning and it looks and feels great.

Sherpi

One of Us
Picture of sherpi
posted Hide Post
Just came home from reindeer hunting, and that knive is realy good. Good shape of the blade and sharp and the sharpness lasts. My guide was also impressed and called it "ofur hníf" that's Über knive.

Sherpi